Button Quail Chick Feeding

BODEENY

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
Hello, does anybody know if having button quail can eat food with the protein level past 30% like, can they eat 40-50%?

Personally I haven't tried anything but 24% gamebird starter, but I wouldn't use anything above 35% or so - where as I do not know the exact optimum nutrient distribution for button quail chicks, I'm fairly certain there is one. If they get too much protein, they might get too little fat and carbohydrates and where as this might not kill them as quickly as getting too little protein, I doubt it's good for them. I'd mix such a feed with something that has less protein.

Personally I haven't tried anything but 24% gamebird starter, but I wouldn't use anything above 35% or so - where as I do not know the exact optimum nutrient distribution for button quail chicks, I'm fairly certain there is one. If they get too much protein, they might get too little fat and carbohydrates and where as this might not kill them as quickly as getting too little protein, I doubt it's good for them. I'd mix such a feed with something that has less protein.
Ok sounds good thank you I'll look into it

Hi I'm was wondering if blue Buffalo food would work for feeding quail or if it would be too much protein?? If it wouldn't what would work??

Hi I'm was wondering if blue Buffalo food would work for feeding quail or if it would be too much protein?? If it wouldn't what would work??
Well if you look at guareteed analysis on any animal food bag it will say at the top crude protein and I guess you would want to have that number at 25%-30% of protein to keep them alive

You're talking about feeding a grain-free food designed for a carnivore to quail? not a good idea. They aren't carnivores. From what I understand, in the wild quail eat about 1/3 seeds (aka grain), 1/3 vegetables and fruit, and 1/3 bugs. In the winter they eat nothing but seeds (aka grain). Therefore, the obvious conclusion is that they need quite a bit of grain in their diet. If you can't find any actual quail food, bird seed supplemented with mealworms and fresh vegetables/fruits would be a better option than grain-free dog food.

You're talking about feeding a grain-free food designed for a carnivore to quail? not a good idea. They aren't carnivores. From what I understand, in the wild quail eat about 1/3 seeds (aka grain), 1/3 vegetables and fruit, and 1/3 bugs. In the winter they eat nothing but seeds (aka grain). Therefore, the obvious conclusion is that they need quite a bit of grain in their diet. If you can't find any actual quail food, bird seed supplemented with mealworms and fresh vegetables/fruits would be a better option than grain-free dog food.  
Well right now I'm feeding them cat food and they are doing just fine

pop.gif
Ground cat food is generally okay for them, make sure it is ground well.

Back
Top Bottom