Button Quail-Day 16-Hatching! Photos!

Cool. Quail are mostly kept as pets, right? ...maybe little tiny omelets?
big_smile.png

Tom

Quote:
These quail are kept as pets, yes. I do feed their eggs to chicks, and occasionally make my dd mini eggs for breakfast
big_smile.png

Well I meant #14 for those of you who read my edited post #1! I have four babies out now-I had forgotten how crazy and quick they are, after having three batches of chicken chicks. I have 2 pied, looks like a cinnamon, and maybe a normal of some variety. I'm so happy about the pied pair. I'll try to take pics tomorrow when it's light out.

Ok-Here is a photo of most of the bunch. I have some more zipping and pipped, so not sure on the final count yet. I have a great variety of colors, and a really beautiful pied that has potential for white tail feathers, and some chest and eyes.
Here they are-note their size compared to the small colored marbles in their water dish.

hatchlings.jpg

Congrats on the new babies. They are beautiful. I wish I was as good at telling the colors. What makes them pied? Is it the white or the speckled like appearance? I have a few silver that have that specklied appearance. Just curious. BTW the one cinnamon looking one is a male and has no white under it's chin. So I have way too many males now. Dang I can hatch roos around here

Marie

The pied have dark bodies and white wings, with some other white areas if you're lucky.
smile.png
I hope I get more females than you did marie!

I hope you do too. Mine are laying pretty good though. I came home from vacation to 11 eggs. MIL did not know to take them out. So they were piled up. Very cute. Anyway, hope you get lots of beautiful girls, lol.

Marie

I have 11 Buttons and they are 3 weeks and 1 day old. There are 2 dark brown ones w/ lines or speckles, 3 really light whitish gray ones, and the rest are all just a medium gray color. Nothing blue or red like I was hoping. How do I tell the males from the females? I'll need to separate them soon as they are outgrowing their brooder...
Lisa

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom