Button Quail Eggs hatching July 4th/5th -- is 100lbs of food enough?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Denninmi, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

Probably quantity is ok for a couple of days. I've got 18 eggs right now that I believe are good, so I'm confident I will end up with at least 8 or 10 birds from that.

Seriously, though -- all they had was 26% protein non-medicated gamebird starter at the one and only feed store within 20 miles. I have trouble getting things since I'm in the 'burbs and not farm country. So I picked up 2 bags.

That should be OK, right? Enough protein?

I can supplement with boiled egg and eventually insects. If it's too coarse, I'll just put it through my coffee mill with the adjustable grind until it looks fine enough for them.

As far as the non-medicated part goes, I can put apple cider vinegar in the water as a coccidiostat, which seemed to work well with the other birds.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    The higher the better, if 26% is all you got thats fine.

I like 30% found in purinas gamebird starter, thats what I use for all my birds, but will use 26% if that was all I could get.

8-10 button quail will take years to eat 100lbs of food Id think . . .
    Id have gotten a small bag till I could find like a 28-30% feed . . .

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Thank you for the reply. Most appreciated.

Yeah, I know -- I'm also going to feed it to my turkey poults, ducklings, and chicks as well in combo with the other feeds I'm using (they're all about 4 weeks old now). It won't go to waste or go stale.

I might go on a little field trip further away from metro Detroit over the 4th of July weekend and see if I can find some 30% stuff at a feed store further out away from the 'burbs. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by