Button quail feed

Caluel

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2020
So as a little background. I've recently been given 2 4 week old button quail by a regular to the pet store I work at. I've had them for 3~ weeks now and have noticed breeding behavior. I'm currently feeding them 24% protein crumbles, and have begun giving them bird gravel with oyster shells and charcoal on a recommendation from a coworker who also keeps them. I was wondering if anyone has experience here, should I keep the gravel in a separate container to their food, or should I mix the two together. Any other tips on keeping buttons would be much appreciated too. Attached is a picture of the two in the 20 gallon breeder I have since moved them out of.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 21
Keep the calcium (oyster shells etc) in a separate dish. The girls will eat as needed, the boys won't.
Alright, thank you. Another question of note, is whether or not I should keep the separate container near the food or on the other side of the cage. I have noticed the pair will sleep in dishes supplied to them if they are big enough for the both of them/near the food. (I have seen the female eat out of it on the separate side.)

Alright, thank you. Another question of note, is whether or not I should keep the separate container near the food or on the other side of the cage. I have noticed the pair will sleep in dishes supplied to them if they are big enough for the both of them/near the food. (I have seen the female eat out of it on the separate side.)
I don't think it really matters. I keep mine near the food for my buttons, but not so near for my coturnix.

Back
Top Bottom