button quail, help

looks black in the pic but its a dark bown and whit ( if it was a mouse id call it aguoti lol ) ill try and get some better picks .. but i cant go by the vent feathers.. they are all missing their feather there .. =(

kinda looks like my female tux. Watch for crowing if none I'd guess female. Tried to post a close up picture of her.

The vent feathers are not the only ones to check for "red". any red feathers usually is a male.
In pic 2 you have a male in the rear and the tux looks like a female. in pic 3 the back two look like males and the tux female. So you might have the white one that is alone could be a female and you would need to match her up with one of the darker males. I would try the one with the most feather loss. then leave the other dark male with the tux female and see if that works. also for the injured one be sure you have her where she will stay warm as it helps them heal faster. Do fed them oyster shell all year as they lay all year if the light is right, more than 12-14 hours a day. Mine are in the main living area of my home so they get light until 9pm everyday so they think its summer all year long. I hope this helps and let us know if you have more questions. Enjoy the buttons they are addicting!
big_smile.png

The vent feathers are not the only ones to check for "red". any red feathers usually is a male.
In pic 2 you have a male in the rear and the tux looks like a female. in pic 3 the back two look like males and the tux female. So you might have the white one that is alone could be a female and you would need to match her up with one of the darker males. I would try the one with the most feather loss. then leave the other dark male with the tux female and see if that works. also for the injured one be sure you have her where she will stay warm as it helps them heal faster. Do fed them oyster shell all year as they lay all year if the light is right, more than 12-14 hours a day. Mine are in the main living area of my home so they get light until 9pm everyday so they think its summer all year long. I hope this helps and let us know if you have more questions. Enjoy the buttons they are addicting!
big_smile.png
There is so much to learn about them thanks. I didn't know about the vent feathers till reading it on here in a post about my quail when I first got them.

havent been on here for a while but figured id update this =) The white one didnt make it ..=( but the other three are now a breeding trio =) ive been gettin 2 eggs a day the last three days =) the male shares his meal worms with both girls Its too funny to watch he takes one to one and then to the other =) i got them a new cage a friend was going to throw it out because it got cracked .. but i took it and hot glued it =) put sme nice dirt floor bedding in it and set it up all cute ..(ill post some pics soon i promise ) you guys are right they are verrrry addicting =) i want to go pick out a couple more (especially now that i can kinda tell whats a boy and whats a girl =) plus i have to some what bigg tanks .. that i can make into cages for pairs =)
plus ill watch the yard sales for cages too =) (more cage mean more buttons !! =p=p i put three button eggs in the bator last night .. to see if they will hatch or not .. im gunna put back more for a few days im thinking about getting a second bator .. so i can do the chickens and the quails at the same time .. the male still has a naked butt .. but i think his feathers are starting to grow back =)

seen the male breeding with the solid female last night .. so at least half the eggs should be fertile !! =) (which mean baby buttons fome if they hatch !! should i get another male? and put the tux in with him? or leave the happy trio ?

Back
Top Bottom