Button Quail people help me out!

mrandmrschicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
NW IA
Saw button quail for the first time today and was enthralled by how tiny they were. Can anyone tell me what purpose they serve? They seem far too small for a production breed and as a hunting breed. Are they purely for enjoyment, like ornamental banatms? Are they a song bird? Can you eat their tiny eggs?

I was fascinated.

i have two male button quails, and they are just for pets lool. I have them in with my parakeets, they do crow but I dont mind it. I don't know what other people use them for but the eggs are super tiny lol.

We had two a couple of years ago, i can't image them being used for anything but pets. I do know people that have aviaries keep them to "clean the bottom" as they will eat the seed the falls to the bottom. I have heard stories of them becoming tame, but ours never did. We tried to handle them alot but they seemed terrified of us...
hu.gif

You can eat their eggs, though they are quite small (as I'm sure you can imagine). Basically they are just pets. They are also known as the 'hoovers of the bird world', and many people keep them with their bigger birds, to clean up spilled food. They don't roost, and stay on the ground unless frightened. Then they 'pop up', but only for a bit, then right back to the ground! I wouldn't exactly call them 'song birds', but their calls are very sweet IMO. It's kind of a 'whoo-whoo-whoo' crying, some have likened it to laughing. But they are very interesting little birds!! I love them.
love.gif

I guess you could compare them to a finch, just something pretty to look at
smile.png

Last edited:
lol agreed mine seem to make a loud noise at weird times lol. Then they make a noise that sounds like a deep breathing or something lol it scared me the first time they made it, but they usually don't make noise, well mine don't lol.

Back
Top Bottom