Button Quail question

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Pippin looks like a male. I have females that "crow" too... it's fun to whistle at them and have them answer.
big_smile.png

okay if Pippin is a male when do i expect breeding plumage? *so puzzled* LOL! thanks for thinking it's a male tho i need a male.
smile.png

Quote:
okay if Pippin is a male when do i expect breeding plumage? *so puzzled* LOL! thanks for thinking it's a male tho i need a male.
smile.png

I'm not sure what you mean by "breeding plumage", but he has the white bib... I don't think I have any females that have the white under their chins like that...
Maybe someone else knows for sure?

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
smile.png

I'm not sure what you mean by "breeding plumage", but he has the white bib... I don't think I have any females that have the white under their chins like that...
Maybe someone else knows for sure?​

lol i mean that his feathers are hen colors/patterns. No male button quail (that is breeding age) is that color pattern. Is what im saying
smile.png
. But yes hens can have white bibs but it's not the "norm".
smile.png
What i was asking is if he is a male, if you knew when yours molted into their offical male feathering (breeding plumage)
smile.png
Sorryif im still not making sense i cant think how else to explain it. He's colored like a female except his bib.
smile.png

Like Pippin if he is a male should feather out to this:
IMG_1753-3.jpg

No, he's a different color from your blue breasted male, so he won't turn into that.
smile.png

http://ncws.com/mcdonald/Birds.htm Not sure exactly what color he is, as I'm still figuring all that out, but I've had 2nd generations that you could see the combination of the two parents, like a cinnamon with the blue breast. I haven't had any of mine molt yet, but I wouldn't think they'd do that until later.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

No, he's a different color from your blue breasted male, so he won't turn into that.
smile.png

http://ncws.com/mcdonald/Birds.htm Not sure exactly what color he is, as I'm still figuring all that out, but I've had 2nd generations that you could see the combination of the two parents, like a cinnamon with the blue breast. I haven't had any of mine molt yet, but I wouldn't think they'd do that until later.

I know he's not a blue breasted I should have explained that. He's a Golden Pearled Pied
smile.png

he'll look exactly like this if he's a male (except with white primary feathers):
GoldenPearlMale.jpg

Or if he's a female he'll look exactly like this (except with white primary feathers):
GoldenPearlhen.jpg

Golden Pearls are just a lighter sort of normal blue breasted
smile.png

My big confusion was when in the world if he is deffinatly a male will his male breeding plumage come in (like shown above). It's just been bugging me cuz i agree his body looks male, his bib is male, but the plumage is??? So im like when are you going to molt! LOL! I just thought it'd be faster since they breed at ayounger age. And also for the fact i've seen 4 week old button quails that already are in breeding plumage is why im so puzzled.
big_smile.png
I hpoe my confusion isnt confusing you lol! But yes i do know what pippin is. he breeder that produce dmost of the colors you see today (or imported them into the US) is the owner of the site called www.zebrafinch.com he has all the colors listed with pictures. great site!
smile.png

edited to add- I just emailed the breeder who's I got my pair and first eggs from hoping she can tell me *keeping fingers crossed* then we'll both know hehe!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
LOL! Yes, you did confuse me.
smile.png
Sorry...
The birds I hatched in April haven't molted yet... not really sure when they do. This is my first year with them, so I'm still learning. I really thought that you thought that Pippin would turn into a Blue breasted...
lol.png
My bad! (Need more coffee, I guess.....)

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

LOL! Yes, you did confuse me.
smile.png
Sorry...
The birds I hatched in April haven't molted yet... not really sure when they do. This is my first year with them, so I'm still learning. I really thought that you thought that Pippin would turn into a Blue breasted...
lol.png
My bad! (Need more coffee, I guess.....)

nahh i tend to ramble and leave out the most important parts and ramble on about more unimortant parts...typing ADD maybe!?!?!
hugs.gif

according to the breeder Pippin is a hen and
it's just her pied showing through
smile.png
She did say though that Pippin now just looks liek a wild type hen with pied, not a "golden pearl pied' doesnt matter to me as golden pearl doesnt look much different than the wild type, so either way pretty to me.

I also found out that my newest chick Keeper is a Cinnamon Redbreasted! I bet he/she will be pretty! She said i should get some pretty rare colors from it!
smile.png

Heres a picture of it today:

a2-1.jpg

and another:
a4-1.jpg

and another cuz its' cute hehe
a1-2.jpg

Really? Pippin's a hen? Hmmmm
hu.gif
I'm going to have to take a closer look at some of my "men" then...

Your new chick is a cutie...
love.gif

Quote:
jumpy.gif
I am super happy with the foursome you've blessed me with. I still have to take photos and get them posted...but, how do you sex the silver and white buttons by color markings?

Back
Top Bottom