Button Quail sound like KITTENS!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickenwhisperer123, Nov 23, 2009.

1. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Are they supposed to sound like kittens? They have a high pitched, little thing they are doing ALOT, and they quit when I go out and look....

Is that normal???

2. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Yes that's normal. How many are in the Brooder? If they are peeping at the same time it could sound like kittens.
    They will peep quietly when content. If they are running around constantly they may be cold so I check the temperature of the brooder then.

David

3. chickenwhisperer123

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    They are full grown birds.... Thats whats so funny. I dont know if it is a crow or something, but it is HILARIOUS!!

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Is it like a shrill gargle? That's what mine do. I was told I have a pair, but they both do it, and I thought it was their version of a crow.

5. chickenwhisperer123

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:Sorta like that...

I put my 3 trios together and it stopped, so maybe they were calling to their friends... [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You're probably talking about the 'laugh' that all buttons (male or female) do. Some compare it to evil doll laughter [​IMG] To me it's more of a 'hehehe' sound. But both males and females do that.

The crowing that only males do sounds like wind blowing. It freaked me out the first time I heard it!! I compare it to Darth Vader breathing, that's what it sounds like to me [​IMG]

ETA: Yes, that's what they were doing, calling to their friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by