Button Quail, what color is s/he?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
BabyButton1-9-09.jpg

The breeder wasn't sure what color this one was. I don't remember what all breeder birds he had, but he did have silvers and whites. Anyways, anyone have any ideas? S/he looks slate grey, but each individual feather is mottled with whitish. I don't know anything about the button colors, these are my first chicks, but I was thinking maybe a red breasted hen?

It's really hard to tell when they are half feathered. You can tell the chicks by the down color, sometimes easier than when they are grown, and you can tell the adults when fully feathered but sometimes they go through some odd looking patterns while growing out. Both hatches now I've figured out their color as chicks only to spend the partially feathered stage wondering if I was right and with the first hatch I ended up being right. This hatch we'll see.

If it looks a dark grey with no brown it's probably slate which I was told is silver with a blue face gene. If it's brownish it's probably some variant of cinnamon. Red breasted will be dark with yellow stripes as chicks.

Last edited:
Quote:
^I agree, it's very hard to tell at this stage though you can take guesses and get lucky normally!
smile.png

When I first saw it i thought redbreasted, but looking at the wings saw dark silver. Theres so many combos that can go together i wouldnt be suprised if its' a redbreasted cinnamon at this point
lau.gif

Lol. They do look mangy at this stage.

BrownButton1-3-09.jpg

I know it's not a good picture, and the lighting sucks, but that was when I first brought them home and I didn't want to scare them too much.

I guess I'll just have to wait and then post pictures again later when s/he's fully feathered. Hopefully it turns out to be a beautiful color, this one is my favorite.
smile.png

Quote:
it's a nifty one for sure
smile.png

my playful vote is going to be a redbreasted somethin
smile.png
And both if it is, BOTH male and female are GORGEOUS! Redbreasted hens are my favorite hen color and the males RED on their breast and vent REALLY stands out
smile.png

It is a regular Red Breasted without a doubt. At this age it is hard to tell if male or female as they all look female when they are young since that makes them camouflaged to hide from predators with their mothers. As the feathers start to come in better by the vent area if you see reddish feathers it is male and if not female. Good luck!! Red Breasteds are one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom