Button Quail with Diarrhea

Thank you! This one hen seems to be the only one with a problem out of 4. She has actually stopped laying for a week a couple of times lately.

Here's the feed info (it's a mix marketed as specifically for button/ornamental quail), it's translated from German so sorry if anything is worded strangely:

As for water they've always had bottled spring water because the tap water here is very hard. The website says:

Average analysis at sourcemg/L
Bicarbonate150
Calcium 40.5
Chloride6.1
Magnesium10.1
Nitrate (as NO3)3.1
Potassium0.7
Sodium5.6
Sulphate5.3
Dry residue 180°C170
Thanks for the reply. That feed is not suitable for quail or any gamebird, regardless of what the manufacturer 'claims'.
Try finding a complete and balanced feed of at least 24% protien. There are many manufacturers and distributors of a quality feed for gamebirds.
When feeding that much 'seed' based feed, gamebirds will have runny, wet droppings.

Oh no, I'm so confused because it's from a pretty well respected shop that only makes food for quails. Half the food is actually pellets when looking at it? I've had a nightmare trying to find suitable game-bird food in the UK. I don't understand why only one bird would be having an issue when they all eat the same thing :(
Just like people...some birds digestive tract's can handle it, some can not.

Okay, so bit of an update… we switched them all onto a quail pellet feed gradually over 2 weeks. The one that had diarrhea before now has very light foamy poops. They currently have probiotics in their water as they've been eating each other's poop too.

Does anyone know what on earth is going on with this button hen?

foamy-poop.jpg

Bumping this thread because she still has this problem, on and off. She drinks a lot of water and does large wet poops. Sometimes they're normal, but some weeks they'll all be like this. I'm stumped, because their food is always the same.
Would you like the food i use i get it off amazon

Okay, so bit of an update… we switched them all onto a quail pellet feed gradually over 2 weeks. The one that had diarrhea before now has very light foamy poops. They currently have probiotics in their water as they've been eating each other's poop too.

Does anyone know what on earth is going on with this button hen?

View attachment 2661487
That looks like you need to bullet blend it for buttons, looks like its drinking more then it eats maybe

Hope it helps , its amazon so maybe they have it were u are

Attachments

• 20210510_093533.jpg
    20210510_093533.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 1
That looks like you need to bullet blend it for buttons, looks like its drinking more then it eats maybe

No, they manage to eat the pellets just fine, they're only 2mm (and I've seen them swallow bits of egg about 5 times that size before!).

I'm in the UK so can't get that food, but use a quail layers pellet that's been recommended to me by another UK button owner.

I'm really looking for anyone who know what might be wrong with the hen. I'm thinking that if it doesn't improve in the next couple of days I will try and get a fecal test done… her poops absolutely reek as well.

No, they manage to eat the pellets just fine, they're only 2mm (and I've seen them swallow bits of egg about 5 times that size before!).

I'm in the UK so can't get that food, but use a quail layers pellet that's been recommended to me by another UK button owner.

I'm really looking for anyone who know what might be wrong with the hen. I'm thinking that if it doesn't improve in the next couple of days I will try and get a fecal test done… her poops absolutely reek as well.
Did you ever find out what was going on? Mine is doing the same exact thing!

I don't know what's wrong for sure. but I would get the chick starter medicated, then add probios into the feed. It may help.

Back
Top Bottom