button quail

Dan Clark

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
I want to breed button quail I have built a cage that is 3 feet wide and 6 feet long with plants, water and plenty of feed. I am trying to make it a comfortable location for the birds so they will be happy. I have one male and 5 hens. I have read that males will pair with a hen for life but I have also read that they will rebond with birds if they lose their mate. can I have multiple males in a space that big? will they make a new bond to pair up? and how many birds can I fit in my outside cage.

muddy75

Win a BYC calendar in the mini contests!!!!
Premium Feather Member
Aug 17, 2018
southern indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I want to breed button quail I have built a cage that is 3 feet wide and 6 feet long with plants, water and plenty of feed. I am trying to make it a comfortable location for the birds so they will be happy. I have one male and 5 hens. I have read that males will pair with a hen for life but I have also read that they will rebond with birds if they lose their mate. can I have multiple males in a space that big? will they make a new bond to pair up? and how many birds can I fit in my outside cage.
Space wise I would say max of 10 birds allowing for a loss in floor space for “furniture”
with that space you could possibly have 2-3 males but males can be territorial even though buttons tend to pair bond. It tends to work best if the males are same age and have been raised together.

Pandaisy

Songster
May 30, 2020
Germany
I had a trio of one male and two females. It didn't work out, even though they grew up together. It's a hit or miss. The male liked one female better and suddenly started to attack the extra. I have two pairs now. I think this is the most natural way for them to live. My two extra males got along great, but they were constantly crowing for females. I sold one and paired the other one up with the rejected female. They have babies now. But that is just my experience. Keeping them in a group might work for you.

Hiram Means

Chirping
Feb 26, 2021
I keep mine in a flock with multiple males, but they were raised together. It was a risk but I was kind of dumb back when I first got them and by the time I discovered they did best in pairs I had already had them together for a year, so I figured it was fine. Like Pandaisy said, it's kind of hit or miss.

Top Bottom