Button Sexing Help PLEASE.

thank you.... i would have just thought them to be silver of some sort ...not yet having any Buttons myself ( my CBBQ eggs are due to hatch this week though...
clap.gif
) so i have A LOT to learn!

And I thank you too. these are my first buttons and I am so glad there is at least one male and one female in the mix. Presuming you are right quail lady about there being 2 females and 1 male, which I am going to presume, can I still keep the 2 females with the male together or does this spell trouble?

Quote:
People have kept button quail in trios in the past but found out that the instincts take place eventually. There will eventually be a male and female bonded pair and then an "intruder" in the cage which the pair will try to shoo away, whether injuring the third button, or eventually killing it. You may want to think about getting another male for the extra hen. Shelleyd has extra males, so do I.

I would love to get an extra male, except I am in Canada and thus the problem. It is hard and expensive to get birds over the border, I know hatcheries are not even allowed to sell quail over the border. If anyone has buttons for sale in Ontario then it is a possibility.
I have found some eggs to incubate, I am having them shipped on the 10th of January and they will be here same day, so for now I will seperate the extra quail, and hopefully get a good hatch in January.

I have four female buttons looks like. No red butts, but it did look like one had some reddish speckles.
hu.gif

I suppose i'll find out in the spring when there are four eggs in the cage. i have two separated that I think are a pair and i have set up a light on a timer.

Well you can vent sex. I have stuff on my website about that. One under Coturnix and the other under all the Buttons...Easy navigation and lots of info
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom