Buttons not mating.... At all!

ammay13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Hi BYC-
Hoping some of you can help me figure out what is going on with my pair of buttons. Recently I lost my male original button and I bought a new male to replace him. This new male is very mellow (for a button) almost to a flaw. I have never seen him to try to mate with the female! It's like he doesn't have any interest! As for the female, she seems to like him enough, they snuggle every night in there nest box I made for them. I am also concerned for her health as she is only 9 months old and used to lay an egg pretty much every day with the old male. Anyone known what is going on with this pair or have a similar issue? I am looking to sell them in the next few months but I don't want to sell a pair that will not produce fertilized eggs. Thanks!!

How long have they been together? Sometimes changes such as a new cage or a new mate will put the hens off laying. If they have been together for less than 3 weeks then I would give them another couple of weeks before worrying.

How is the cage set up? Sometimes adding hiding places makes them more comfortable. Some buttons can become shy about breeding, especially after big changes.

And lastly, how long is there light cycle? I have some birds that will lay in as little as 8 hours of light. Others need 14 or 15 hours to become productive.

They have been together for about two weeks... so I will give them some more time. They currently are in a cage that does have some areas as well as a little net area, which they hang out in together. I will give it some more time before I rearrange the cage. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom