Buttons or Coturnix?

playswithfowl

One Earth!
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
Oregon
I was wondering which do you think would be easier for a beginner in quail? My only other experience with quail is raising Bobwhite for dog training a few years ago. I am going to take them to my county fair, Looking for one with white meat (preferably) and decent egg layer. Also, would the males 'crowing' bother neighbors more than chicken hens or are they pretty quiet, are houses aren't right next to each other either we have between 1/2 and 3/4 acres.
Thanks--PWF

Quote:
Coturnix hands down....calmer, sweeter, and edibleer lol!

that far of a distance coturnix wont be any louder than a normal singing bird.

Coturnix
wink.png

I agree with Niki. Buttons are cute but worthless. If you are breeding for different colors and to sell them, then that's one thing. If you want QUAIL quail, then the jumbos can't be beat.

i prefer button. but i dont eat them so i dont know about that. I seem to be able to raise button easier than coturnix. i also keep my button in the house in a small cage like a rabbit/guinea pig cage. i love to hear them but i dont hear them very often. maybe you should try both!!
love.gif
they are all cute!!

I agree, definitely coturnix... button arent really for eating just decoration and they are very skittish and hard to do anything with but look at. Eggs are good but coturnix you can eat, handle easier and they lay.

Nancy

Quote:
that's right Cindy, lets make another coturnix quail freak
big_smile.png
hugs.gif

ANOTHER ONE? Haven't we done enough LOL?! Honestly, I have close to 40 buttons and they are cute but the jumbos are TASTY and the eggs are wonderful and plentiful. I have a hard time paying for feed for something that doesn't recoup my money. The jumbos are well worth the money, time, and effort. I should say the larger quail, not just the jumbos. I know Niki has some very nice looking species!

Oh and Nancy you're right - the larger quail are much less skittish and friendlier than the buttons!

Last edited:
Well then, sounds like Coturnix are the way to go then
big_smile.png
which ones have white meat? Are they fairly easy to hatch? I'm getting excited now! Who all has ones that have white meat?

Quote:
A & Ms and English Whites have white meat
smile.png
However don't be put off by the ones that do not, the jumbo browns have "dark meat" however theres many who can tell you that their meat when layed against true dark meat birds looks white. I dont like dark meat, yet I LOVE normal coturnix meat. I've never eaten A & Ms yet, they are all my breeders
smile.png

Cindy breeds the Jumbo browns (lilralphieroosmama) AND she has buttons too
smile.png

I have a small assortment penned up according to color but im not selling just yet, as they're not all laying yet.
smile.png

oh and about easy to hatch YES!
smile.png
As long as your incubator is decient you shouldnt have any problems.
smile.png
18 days incubation max normally. Some can hatch as early as 15 days!
smile.png

Last edited:
My vote is for Coturnix too. I raise both, buttons for the bottoms of my aviary and to sell, and i just started with the Coturnix for egg/meat production for my family. Thus far they are sweeter, calmer, less "Poppy". Open the buton quail cage and "POP" one gets out, haha!

Back
Top Bottom