*butts covered in poo......help?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ksct, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    Ok...
    my hens seem to be having a lot of poo on themselves. I was nervous at first because they are 29.5 weeks old and really haven't had an issue with this until the last couple weeks.
    It seems to be coming out just fine... just seems to be getting all over them. Not to sound rediculious but I didn't know if this could have something to do the roo's 'interactions' with them... perhaps it's weather related? or is it normal? It's been far colder here than it usually is this time of year. I've checked them, as well as I could, they don't want anyone touching them most of the time... (moody ladies [​IMG] )
    I have read that sometimes you have to put their butts in warm water etc in order to clean this off.... should we be doing this? any advice on how to do this if so and we haven't yet because it's sooo cold I don't want to put them back outside being at all wet/cold because I don't want them to get sick.

thanks in advance!

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I always clip the feathers around their vents and some below it. Also, check for mites in the poo and feathers that have poo on them--mites love this! [​IMG] If they have mites, dust them in Sevin dust(you can buy this at your local hardware store). Good luck!

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Chicken bath time!!! lol I heard to just try and wash off with warm water but be sure to blow dry them before letting them back out into the cold... you can give them a facial and pedicure too since it will be a day at the chickie salon [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've had this with my BR that has a really poofy rear. I just trimmed her feathers around her rear with a pair of scissors. No more problems.

5. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    if i just trim the feathers below the vent... that won't cause them to be any less insulated will it?
    I love their fluffy butts but this winter has gotten a little gross. Never had any poo on any of them before the weather changed. (i'm sure it's just coinsidential)
    Can someone give me a little info on how I should be cleaning them?
    take a cloth and carefully remove it with some warm water?
    somehow get their whole backside in some water?

they hate to be picked up.... despite being handled by use since they were 1 day old..... and capturing them is the hardest part. i think they'd be fine once we get them.... i just don't know the best way to clean 12 hens. lol
    I could put them in the tub with an inch of water in it or something similiar..... i'd be disinfecting the tub right after obviously.....
    any advice on this is helpful!

Sevin dust..... is that like DE? it's safe for animals? I just don't know why it's sold at a hardware store....
    AND are mites a problem in the winter?

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:Hello! Sevin dust is sold at walmart(it's a food grade dust for fruits and veggies) and safe on chickens--I have been dusting mine for years and never had a problem or any side effects--walmart does carry it, but it's seasonal(Spring/summer), so usually hardware stores carry it year round. Yes, mites can be a problem, even in the winter---wild birds carry them and bring them into your flock as well as free-ranged birds. Yes, cuttitng the feather below the vent is fine and will not hurt them.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Parasite check time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by