Buy? Or Build? Heeeeellllllppppp!!

Pics
As I am sure you are aware, I am such a newby to the chicken arena that I haven’t even gotten my first chicken yet! I have been studying coops. Now, since I am just beginning, isn’t it okay if I purchase a cute little coop, or do you really have to build one?? Honestly, I would much rather buy one! A builder I ain’t!! And, I would like to the the beginning of this new adventure as simple as possible for me! Now, since I have all that outta the way, which brand is best?
I hope I am not becoming a bother! I want to be successful when I do actually get a chicken! And thank you for all of your help!
I used a shed framing kit as shown here: https://www.ebay.com/p/3005013936?iid=174428169154

I built it with corrugated flashing attached to the bottom edge and extending 18" in to the ground and a composting floor similar to what Harvey Ussery describes in his book: https://www.amazon.com/Small-Scale-Poultry-Flock-All-Natural-Approach/dp/1603582908

Composting floors are very easy maintenance and the chickens love the bugs that the compost produces. Any time I have a whiff of ammonia, I just throw in some more hay. Once a year, I scrape out the compost, and put down fresh hay.

Saw a research article from the 1930's or 1940's that showed chicks raised in composting floor henhouses survived better.

The corrugated flashing to to keep anyone from digging into the hen house.

I used 1/4 inch hardware cloth. I live near the coast in Washington State so I wasn't worried about the chickens getting cold. I put in lost of cross supports. No artificial light in the winter to give the chickens a rest. Free range in the yard during the day. My rooster lived to be 15; I was in the hospital and the house sitter forgot to close the door one night. All of my hens lived to be at least 8, and several lived to be 12 years old.

As I am sure you are aware, I am such a newby to the chicken arena that I haven’t even gotten my first chicken yet! I have been studying coops. Now, since I am just beginning, isn’t it okay if I purchase a cute little coop, or do you really have to build one?? Honestly, I would much rather buy one! A builder I ain’t!! And, I would like to the the beginning of this new adventure as simple as possible for me! Now, since I have all that outta the way, which brand is best?
I hope I am not becoming a bother! I want to be successful when I do actually get a chicken! And thank you for all of your help!
Build a coop. Chipper and easy to build. Their are a lot of deigns on pin interest. Just choose what you like and build it. As well don’t forget to add a layer box or boxes and raised up from the ground. And my Chikens love their resting rack I made for them. Make sure it has ventilation. I made my coop with leftover wood that I had. Really chip but better then store stuff. Oh I would make sure the food is hang from roof. And water is raised from floor. You just need a drill, some sort of hand saw, chicken wire, and a heavy duty staple gun. And you can always get stuff on deals or second hand. Just make sure you have safety glasses. Oh the biggest tip I can give you “Measure twice and cut once”
Love the bird lady

For the price you'll pay for a tiny pre-fab coop, you can build a triple sized open coop/run with predator proofing, which will work well in your climate. They just need to be dry and safe from predators.
We built our chicken mansion and it’s quite large but the chickens have a great area to be safe in when we can’t be home to let them free range. And yes they play with the toys too!

Attachments

• C5B1855C-C4C5-40DB-8B34-C371095718E5.jpeg
    C5B1855C-C4C5-40DB-8B34-C371095718E5.jpeg
    841.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 58895245-262A-4E8E-AED8-3B4226CE98A8.jpeg
    58895245-262A-4E8E-AED8-3B4226CE98A8.jpeg
    881.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 121208F6-C305-4E92-B0D4-333835AC7E54.jpeg
    121208F6-C305-4E92-B0D4-333835AC7E54.jpeg
    814.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 84280E9A-F17B-4A95-A7E2-AAC645D3241C.jpeg
    84280E9A-F17B-4A95-A7E2-AAC645D3241C.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 8561FA01-8966-4EC0-9AA6-8DA290B1518B.jpeg
    8561FA01-8966-4EC0-9AA6-8DA290B1518B.jpeg
    777.1 KB · Views: 12
  • CABDB73F-3DC4-4DF0-A5F3-E9E2D0BDAE71.jpeg
    CABDB73F-3DC4-4DF0-A5F3-E9E2D0BDAE71.jpeg
    808.9 KB · Views: 12
I live in a neighborhood, so small is the key for right now...maybe 3 chickens. I live in Central Florida so it’s hot. I think winters are freezing, but I get cold with anything below 80! My plan is to purchase a small coop and run and a sail shade for them not to get too hot. I don’t think we have predators around here, we have a vinyl fence all around the yard so I think they will be safe.
I have the Omlet Eglu 'Go' coop - perfect for 2 chickens in an urban backyard. Not suitable for more than 3 even though they advertise them as suitable for up to 4. They're not cheap but great quality and really easy to clean. I also bought their run, but even with the extension, the run is not really big enough if you are not going to let them out to free-range. Best to use their coop, but make your own run for when the chickens can't be out free-ranging.

I built my coop. But if I did it over again I would buy a shed and convert it. Pinterest has a lot of ideas. And I agree with the comments about premade coops. Way too small and flimsy.

I built mine because I wanted them to have room. You can buy one from tractor supply or Amazon to start off with 4 birds most because of the size. As for breed Rhoade Island reds are good and hardy. They produce 5-6 eggs a week per bird

Well...we did cute and the wind blew and the door and window (small one) opened and a coyote took advantage and we lost one of our two that day....I believe the best strongest is made by me....2x4 paint and bricks...construction mesh all around and under....I have built four....two had to be burned down due to chicken tick infestation (long story)..again best is self made...lots of patterns out there too ☺️

After purchasing a pre-fab kit, I would 2nd or 3rd the motion to build from scratch. The kit looked so cute, but I quickly realized it would last about 1 season before rotting to the ground. The wood was cheap, not treated, not redwood, too thin and allowed water to get into the side of critical boards. I spent just about the same amount beefing it up and putting it on a good base with wheels, so I could move it around. All the latches were not 'coon proof, so I swapped them out. I fixed all the leaky spots and used a waterproofer on all of the wood, inside and out. I also painted many of the wood surfaces that would have the most exposure. There are always predators, even if it's only rats that like to get the food and eggs. Here in suburbia CA we count on skunks, 'coons, stray dogs and cats, from above the hawks and eagles. Just down the road we also have coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom