Buy? Or Build? Heeeeellllllppppp!!

Pics

cheer4michelle

Chirping
Sep 30, 2020
As I am sure you are aware, I am such a newby to the chicken arena that I haven’t even gotten my first chicken yet! I have been studying coops. Now, since I am just beginning, isn’t it okay if I purchase a cute little coop, or do you really have to build one?? Honestly, I would much rather buy one! A builder I ain’t!! And, I would like to the the beginning of this new adventure as simple as possible for me! Now, since I have all that outta the way, which brand is best?
I hope I am not becoming a bother! I want to be successful when I do actually get a chicken! And thank you for all of your help!

I would build the coop. I know it sounds like a crazy amount of work, but I built mine with absolutely no wood working experience. If you build your own, you can make it exactly as big as you want, and with the exact dimensions that work best for you. You can also make it a lot more durable and secure than any pre-made coop.
If you do decide to buy a coop though, keep in mind that they are always much too small to house the amount of chickens they are advertised for.

Prebuilt coops are expensive and tend to be really poorly made. They also tend to greatly over exaggerate the capacity. Seems most people that get them still end up sinking more money in them to make them predator proof and upgrade them to better for birds.
X2 they are all too small, flimsy, and expensive. I bought my first coop, Amish built for $1500. It was larger than your average pre fab coop and it’s already too small for 10 birds and I have 15!!! And I’ve bashed my head on the rafters so many times I’m ready to burn it to the ground. I’m building a new coop already and my aching back and head will thank me! So will the birds!!

Welcome to BYC! Many on here, myself included, would recommend building a coop or hiring someone to build one. Building one is much more cost efficient, and you are able to customize the coop to your needs. Most prefabricated coops are very small and made out of poor quality materials. As @neo71665 said, many people spend more many than they're worth trying to upgrade the prefab to work.

Things to consider...
- Predators: What's around?
- Climate: How's your weather? How hot are your summers? How cold are your winters? How wet is your Spring?
- Budget
- Yard Space available
I live in a neighborhood, so small is the key for right now...maybe 3 chickens. I live in Central Florida so it’s hot. I think winters are freezing, but I get cold with anything below 80! My plan is to purchase a small coop and run and a sail shade for them not to get too hot. I don’t think we have predators around here, we have a vinyl fence all around the yard so I think they will be safe.

I live in a neighborhood, so small is the key for right now...maybe 3 chickens. I live in Central Florida so it’s hot. I think winters are freezing, but I get cold with anything below 80! My plan is to purchase a small coop and run and a sail shade for them not to get too hot. I don’t think we have predators around here, we have a vinyl fence all around the yard so I think they will be safe.
Most prefab coops are good for 1.5 adult chickens, from what I've seen.

Don't ever underestimate the predators even inside city limits. Stuff like coons, possums and rats are often inside the city. That doesn't count the cats and dogs both wild and tame that often run around. Most suburbs still have foxes and coyotes. Down in Florida ya'll got the boas and iguanas running around thriving.

There are predators everywhere. I'm assuming that you have raccoons and hawks in florida?

Back
Top Bottom