Buy? Or Build? Heeeeellllllppppp!!

Pics
Now is the time to ask LOTS of questions...the community here is AWESOME I wish I had found this place BEFORE getting chickens and building a coop. The really biggest piece of advice is to build it bigger than you think you need...chicken math is tricky. Being here for a little while I've learned, minimum 4 square feet per bird floor space and you in Florida 1.5-2 square feet of ventilation per bird, do not cut those 2 items short. It's very easy to over crowd a coop..we started out with a plan to have 6 birds MAX we now have well had 10 now 9 so our 32 square foot is pretty tight for space. 1800-chicken-coop-2(1).jpg
This is what our flock lives in and will be a different style when we have to/want to build the next one. Its pretty and cute BUT harder to tend to the girls needs sometimes.

I have 2 coops that I bought from Formax snap an lock. We built a pen between them. I bought 1 but wanted more chickens. I live in MASSACHUSETT, ive had them 3 years Very happy with them. There is another company that sells similar with attached run. I also now have a child’s playhouse for my silkies.View attachment 2367462
I like the playhouse idea too! Thanks!

Hi, Michelle.. We retired and built our own ‘rustic’ backyard chicken coop about a decade ago. Fun experience! Last year we moved to rural Georgia and decided we‘ll build another coop, but this time I wanted something CUTE as well as strong and functional. So I searched and searched online, found lots of free stuff, but finally selected some e-plans with great reviews. The plans cost less than $10 and are excellent, very detailed.
I agree with all the users who recommend hiring someone to build over buying pre-fab. I also suggest selecting plans for your builder to use, and getting a quote. We are at about $600 for materials (and we already had shingles and stain from our house) and still have to build a run.
8BB7A507-BC41-4129-8138-E8CF10B285F7.jpeg

Now is the time to ask LOTS of questions...the community here is AWESOME I wish I had found this place BEFORE getting chickens and building a coop. The really biggest piece of advice is to build it bigger than you think you need...chicken math is tricky. Being here for a little while I've learned, minimum 4 square feet per bird floor space and you in Florida 1.5-2 square feet of ventilation per bird, do not cut those 2 items short. It's very easy to over crowd a coop..we started out with a plan to have 6 birds MAX we now have well had 10 now 9 so our 32 square foot is pretty tight for space. View attachment 2367516
This is what our flock lives in and will be a different style when we have to/want to build the next one. Its pretty and cute BUT harder to tend to the girls needs sometimes.
My plan is to start out with 3...that’s my plan!! We shall see!

Hi, Michelle.. We retired and built our own ‘rustic’ backyard chicken coop about a decade ago. Fun experience! Last year we moved to rural Georgia and decided we‘ll build another coop, but this time I wanted something CUTE as well as strong and functional. So I searched and searched online, found lots of free stuff, but finally selected some e-plans with great reviews. The plans cost less than $10 and are excellent, very detailed.
I agree with all the users who recommend hiring someone to build over buying pre-fab. I also suggest selecting plans for your builder to use, and getting a quote. We are at about $600 for materials (and we already had shingles and stain from our house) and still have to build a run.
View attachment 2367518
Wow! How many chickens do y’all have?

I'm sure you, in these times of covid can find a handy person that can and will build you a CHICKEN PALACE for less than one you purchase. I agree with ALL that a prefab coop is not the best option. 3 ish sheets of plywood and 10-12 2x4's and fasteners plus any other hardware you may want or need you can have a 4x4x4 coop in one day...you have a fenced yard so you can free range them. Being y'all in Florida have had some rough weather and building supplies may be higher in price than most BUT I think you could build the coop for about $500(just material) and pay the handy person you would still be less than a prefab coop. Just my two cents and understand wanting a quick easy place for your chickens but I think you would disappointed with the prefab. When you are searching for the prefab use 4 square feet per bird which I agree with as a floor space number BUT it WILL be too cramped if it is not 4 feet tall also. Tight sleeping quarters make for grumpy chickens 🐔
Oh dear! I do not want grumpy chickens! I already have a teenage daughter!! Haha haha Thank you!!

Now is the time to ask LOTS of questions...the community here is AWESOME I wish I had found this place BEFORE getting chickens and building a coop. The really biggest piece of advice is to build it bigger than you think you need...chicken math is tricky. Being here for a little while I've learned, minimum 4 square feet per bird floor space and you in Florida 1.5-2 square feet of ventilation per bird, do not cut those 2 items short. It's very easy to over crowd a coop..we started out with a plan to have 6 birds MAX we now have well had 10 now 9 so our 32 square foot is pretty tight for space. View attachment 2367516
I looked at that same coop! Why do you say it is difficult to tend to your girls??

Oops, I forgot to give credit to the guy who made the plans. It’s Morgan Creek Plans, and I’m pretty sure he‘s a member here! The plans include a complete materials list, which would enable a builder to price out materials for your quote.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom