Buyer Be Aware! (rant)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Daisymay, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Good Grief! Drove out to a nice, clean, new feed store to buy chicks. Bought 2 RIR, 2 BR and 3 Ameraucana pullets. Asked the guy why the Ameraucana pullets were black and he told me they were black Ameraucanas. Okay, well the new little flock grow up and I ended up with 3 striped Easter Eggers. Yeah, I know, happens all the time. Well too boot, one of the pullets turned out to be a cockerl. Yeah, yeah I know this happens all the time too. Thought is was odd that the EE were so much smaller then the RIR and BR. Figured they would either catch up or just be a little smaller, ya know, cause RIR and BR are kinda on the big side. Well, one of the little pullets laid her first egg today. It was BROWN! I looked some breeds up and guess what! I bought 3 black Ameraucana pullets that turned out to be what looks like 3 perfect little bantum Barred Rocks! And ones a roo! I am just floored!

It's not like I picked chicks from a straight run bin full of mixed breeds. The tanks were labled and I questioned the guy. He even got out a chart and showed me a picture, for Petes sake!

Man, I will be, way, more aware next time I buy chicks! Photo in hand and everything!
    Thank you for lending an ear! Sometime a girl just needs to rant!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you want to know something, NEVER ask feedstore personnel, LOL. They are notoriously ignorant of what they ought to know.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, chicken sellers are former horse traders...oh my...

4. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    You are so right. I will NEVER ask feed store personell again! Learned my lesson when I ended up with roos instead of all pullets. Man was I mad. But on a good note I have found a farmer to buy my chickies from.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by