Buyer wants to re-turn thier hens

Quote:
right..i was going to say this also...who knows where they brought them..(if they even did)...but anyways...who knows what they have been exposed to now, if you take them back, you could put your flock at risk...just my opinion...best of luck!
smile.png

i totally agree strict biosecurity, nothing returns to my flock or property once it leaves. u have no idea of anything they have been exposed too since they left and could bring something back.

my question is did u tell them upfront they were on medication, why and how long not to eat their eggs for??? that should have been expressed to the buyers and left to their decression as to weather they still wished to purchase them first thing right up front. if i was to buy any birds and was told they were on meds i agree i'd of chose not to buy them also due to not knowing how good of health they were really in.

buyers should always ask tons of questions, see pics or see stock in person first and sellers should always let the buyer know what they r actually purchaseing, if they r on meds and any dq's they may have upfront.
silkie

Another very good point. You would have to quarantine.

Read this whole thread, why refund the money. Those chicken were place in a open cage, in the back of a uncover pick up.

With the temp. around here, plus a 60 mile wind chill, no wonder they are sick.

If thats how they moved them, noway do they need a refund.

Let them learn from their mistakes, they were lucky they were still alive!!

The OP is in MA.
wink.png

Regardless, get something stating why they are sick before taking them back and then quarantine them apart. In the future as mentioned, don't use antibiotics as a preventative. It adds to why they no longer work and a resistant strain of bacteria can now appear within just 3 months of the introduction of a new drug... that takes at shortest 6 months to make. What can make it worse, is that bacteria can trade antibiotic resistance genes to each other, so if you have been using it for a while, it is likly that the harmless bacteria on your own skin carry the trait which can be a big problem if you need to be treated with antibiotics.

Treating too may have killed off a bunch of "good" bacteria, so the few surviving bad ones were able to take over. It's the .001% you have to worry about, the rest are competing with them and help keep them in control.

why refund the money- IF the seller didn't tell them they were on meds and the birds r now sick from not being on the meds then the seller is at fault and should make it right because an honest seller would have told them that upfront they had them on it.

as for transport- birds r moved all the time like that for show if they are not sick to begin with usually they will be fine. they have body heat, there is places that block the wind for the most part in the back of the truck from the tail gate and side walls. even if that was the case u'd not see symptoms that quick.

I don't know about western MA, but today in eastern Mass it was cold and rainy all day, so if they were exposed to the elements, that could've contributed to the reported "sickness".

I had told them when they got here that they were on it (now they will not have any )
She said oh good i give mine that every day ! Im kind afraid to take them back now becasue she said she has a lot of birds . So if she is treating hers for medication maybe hers are really sick ?

I was thinking of saying " i will give you a full refund for the birds and offer you new birds free of charge as long as i can see ligit documentation of them seeing a Real vet and not some random person !

yesterday it was extremly cold and the chickens didnt really leave the hen house except to pop there heads out once in a while to see if any treats were being thrown

i really just think that they seen cheaper chickens and didnt like that they paid more for mine !
it just bothers me that her some man (i thought was her husband but now i dont think so ) and her sone came here looked att the birds picked them up and looked at them and said ok we will take them . They didnt seem to know that much about chickens but said they had a coop ,pen , etc

i just dont want them to come make a hassle or worse wake up and have birds missing from my yard . Even though i told them they couldnt go in my yard becasue my geese would bite them ! lol

Last edited:
IF they are really up to no good they might try bringing you back different birds!
Probably sick ones for sure they no longer want...
Think about it..
A flock of RI or White leghorns do all look alike.
But to us that care we can name and tell them apart...
Just something to think about.

I would offer them a refund if they could produce documentation of the sickness. If they have no documentation, I would ask for the name of whoever diagnosed the birds, and i would call that person to inquire about what happened. I would also verify that the birds returned were the birds sold. The birds will need to quarantined if they are returned. Never deal with these people again and warn other local poultry people about them. Next time get it all in writing.

Quote:
I agree. The antibotics could have been masking the symptoms of the sickness. I personally wouldnt take the chickens back, since I dont know where they have been or what they could have been exposed to. But I would refund the money, seeing as the antibotics could have been making the illness.

Back
Top Bottom