Buyer wants to re-turn thier hens

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
Today a women and her husband came and bought 4 hens from me . The hens were healthy and lay an egg a day for me . I give mine teramicyn in thier water so i know they were healthy .

i had them in a pen she looked at them and says ill take them . She and i put them in the cage in the back of her pick up and they drove off

I just got a call saying her husband brought them some where and they said they were sick and he wants a refund . I asked were he brought them and she said i dunno . There is no wheres around here that looks at birds . Its a city ! i looked high and low for vets to loook at my poultry and no luck .

What should i do ? i got 50 bucks for 4 hens .
my parents said they looked at them they new what they were buying and i know my hens were healthy i wouldnt sell them if they werent .

Its been reall cold and windy here . Do you think by them being putin the back of a pick up in a wire cage uncovered could of caused them to become sick ? Should i refund or not

firstly, just because you give antibiotics doesn't guarantee a healthy bird. not criticizing, it's just not a guarantee.

why are you treating them if they are not sick? that would tell me as a buyer that there is some sort of issue. i would not have purchased in the first place.

i would not use the items you listed as defense for not accepting the return. nor the fact that there isn't a vet that looks at birds...etc.

only argue what you KNOW to be fact.
a. they bought four birds you assumed to be healthy
b. they paid you $50
c. they want to return them

what were the terms of the sale? what guarantees did you make verbally or on paper?
do you care what this person says to others about your business?

it all just comes down to what you want to deal with in your business.

hope it works out for the best!

I give the hens a bowl with that medicine in it because the grain store says since the seasons are changing the hens should have a little of this to keep them healthy and prevent colds

I inspected the birds before i even offered them up for sale
they had clear eyes nice shiny feathers were dusted for mites and liced and had been dewormed .

Nothing was put down on paper . Just an email and a phone call .

I dont care what they tell people i know my hens were healthy and i keep my birds in clean conditions and always have fresh water and food .

The only thing i can think of was that she seen another add with cheeper hens for sale

Personally, I would give them their money back and take the hens and make sure they tell you where they took them. I am the kind of person who doesn't really want to hassel over $50, especially when you know they are healthly - you will another buyer. At least around here you would!!!

Were it me, I would tell her that they could return the hens if they provide evidence (such as a vet report) stating that the animals are in poor health.

Otherwise, the whole thing sounds fishy to me. It sounds like case of buyer's remorse or that she bought the hens without consulting her husband, he didn't want them and accused them of being sick.

PS - don't always go by what a feed store tells you. Terrimyacin (sp?) is an antibiotic and should only be used to treat a confirmed illness. Otherwise you are allowing your animal to build up an immunity to that particular drug which could then be ineffective when needed for a true illness.

Last edited:
I would just take the birds back and give them the $$ back...
Next time you sell birds, get a bill of sale...that's a better guarantee of people not having second thoughts "binding" agreement.

I give the hens a bowl with that medicine in it because the grain store says since the seasons are changing the hens should have a little of this to keep them healthy and prevent colds

I have to comment on this one. The grain store is full of poop. Chickens dont catch colds and Terramycin is pretty useless. It doesnt guard against anything and doesn't cure much at all.
I would have a policy from now on that you inform everyone of that says any bird that leaves your property never returns, that all sales are final-who knows what they may have picked up at the other place, right? Put it in writing and hand it to every customer.​

i think it sounds a little fishy but it is only $50.00 i would take them back. if you know for sure they are not sick then by taking them back it shows that you stand behind what you sold!

also i would ask were the took them!

The binding agreement was when they handed her $50 and took the birds. End of story.

If she wants her birds back, she may opt to refund. If she does NOT want the birds back, and the people cannot produce a vet report, then the buyers get to keep the birds they bought, or sell them to someone else if they don't want them.

Back
Top Bottom