Buyer wants to re-turn thier hens

First of all, I would stop giving the birds antibiotics unneccesarily. Just like people, they can build up a tolerance to those medications.

Second, you say you don't care what these people say about you or your birds. Is this a business for you? If so, you might want to consider giving a refund to build a reputation for good customer service, especially since you have nothing in writing. $50 is not a lot of money when you think of how many potential customers these people might take from you.

Whatever your decision, one thing you must do is have something in writing to cover yourself. It's easy to print up a form receipt that states that all sales are final. That way, once they leave, you are totally off the hook. There is no more "he said - she said" going on.

Good luck.

Your choice whether you take them back or not. There are good and bad sides to any option you take. One thing though is that antibiotics can cause digestive upset leading to diarhea and odd looking droppings in any animal. If you told them the chickens are getting terramycin and they took them to someone that isn't knowledgeable (which you said you can't find any vets that do poultry), told that vet/person that you'd had them on antibiotics plus having odd droppings they may assume they are ill. If I went to buy chickens and found out someone was giving them antibiotics at the time I'd walk and not return. It's nothing but harmful to give them antibiotics when they aren't sick and I would assume if someone was using antibiotics their animals are sick just to be safe.

pips&peeps :

I personally would not take anything back as once it leaves my farm, I don't know where it has been or what it has been exposed to.

right..i was going to say this also...who knows where they brought them..(if they even did)...but anyways...who knows what they have been exposed to now, if you take them back, you could put your flock at risk...just my opinion...best of luck!
smile.png

Quote:
Exactly....and it needs to come from an avian vet on his business letterhead...none of this handwritten crap. It is not the issue of the 50$ but the issue of the way it is being handled. If her DH took the birds comeplace, then he can get the health issue resolved quickly with a written statement as above.

Or Just take the hens back, give her the $50 and chalk it up to a dingbat looking for hens.

I would take 'em back, refund the $, never sell to them again. Quarantine the chickens for at least a week to make sure they are okay. Sell them again to someone else with a receipt that states "all sales are final" no refunds , no returns. Just type something up on the computer! lesson learned.

Quote:
right..i was going to say this also...who knows where they brought them..(if they even did)...but anyways...who knows what they have been exposed to now, if you take them back, you could put your flock at risk...just my opinion...best of luck!
smile.png

i totally agree strict biosecurity, nothing returns to my flock or property once it leaves. u have no idea of anything they have been exposed too since they left and could bring something back.

my question is did u tell them upfront they were on medication, why and how long not to eat their eggs for??? that should have been expressed to the buyers and left to their decression as to weather they still wished to purchase them first thing right up front. if i was to buy any birds and was told they were on meds i agree i'd of chose not to buy them also due to not knowing how good of health they were really in.

buyers should always ask tons of questions, see pics or see stock in person first and sellers should always let the buyer know what they r actually purchaseing, if they r on meds and any dq's they may have upfront.
silkie

Quote:
Good point. It's should not be used as a preventative.

What you do from here is totally up to you. Personally I would return the money and re sale the birds....but that is just because I would not want some angry people badgering me forever. I would ask what exactly she was told that implied that the birds were sick. But if you give the money back and take back the birds look at it this way...you never have to deal with her again!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom