Buying a house with a coop - disinfecting?

boatagor

Songster
7 Years
Apr 4, 2017
Southwest Virginia
We're buying a house that has a nice coop and the people have chickens in it currently. What's the best way to clean this so that my ladies aren't exposed to possible sicknesses the other flock may have had? I am not sure on my older hens, but my 3 youngest did receive the Marek's vaccine. Will the coop be cleanable to the point that it's safe for the older ones if they're unvaccinated?

Remember the coop is only one source of infection. The whole ground that has held chickens will have parasites and dander which could infect.

The best way to disinfect a coop, imho, is hydrogen peroxide detergent, like oxyclean. Keep it a strong solution, like 30%. Scrub, let bubble, rinse.

You can then spray with a chlorox solution. Let sit for a week to defume.

Sprinkle or spray well with permethrin.

That should get rid of coccidia, most parasites, viruses, and bacteria. It will NOT get rid of red roost mites. Check for black stains and clumps in the crevices. If you have red roost mites in the coop, burn it and start again. RRM are nearly impossible to get rid of. You need industrial strength pesticides.

But that doesn't address the run or grounds. I would dig up whatever litter is on the ground and put new bark dust, pine shavings, chips, down. It's important to field rotate to avoid pest buildup.

That won't cure coccidia in the soil (they're everywhere), nor worm build up, but it may cut it back enough to not cause a problem while your birds acclimate.

Be aware anytime you move an established flock, there is risk. The move can lower their immune system. The new ground may have strains they are not used to (coccidia). I'd put them all on medicated chick feed for a month to allow the transition time.

Marek's is everywhere. It's too late to vaccinate the older girls. The younger ones may or may not have immunity to the strain that may or may not be on the new property. Frankly it's always a risk. Just be sure to provide chick saver in the water as the transition as well to keep up their immune system. ACV in the water (plastic not metal container) will also help acidify their gut to boost immune.

I've reused a coop that was given to me, but I let it sit out for a summer after treating it as above. I was lucky and didn't have a problem.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom