Buying a second incubator upgrade, which ones are the best?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barbedwirecat, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I started out with a standard Hovabator (no fan, w/turner) and I love it, but I feel after hatching 3 sucessful clutches, I need to upgrade.

I'm looking for a mid range incubator nothing HUGE. I don't need a cabinet style, something small. I may do at max 25 eggs if that. I am looking for functional and DIGITAL if possible with an egg turner. My budget is under $300 (I'd like to keep it around there or lower) I like the floor size of the Hovabator, since I work days I do have to go out sometimes when hatches happen and I like them having room to move if I'm not there with them.

Hope that makes sense! I would love to hear your opinions and likes/dislikes. Suggest away!

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    My advice is to buy a sportsman.

I know, you dont need one that big.

They hold resale value pretty well.

Highly reliable.

I would opt for the not digital version, tried and true. No fancy bells and whistles, but rock solid, and good parts availability. Nothing to complicated to fail.

Next............

3. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I would love to have a sportsman, but it's just not in my budget right now. When I sell that many chicks---you better believe I'll buy one!

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I like the Dickeys cabinet styl myself which while being slightly less than the sportsman, is still expensive. Search all of craigslist or Yakaz for cabinet incubators. There are quite a few used ones through out the US for lots less than a new one.

Trust me you will eventually need more room so why not get it now.

Lanae

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

For that price range I recommend this Eco 20

6. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    and You'll have money to spare even with turning cradle....

Sportsman 225 watts ///// ECO 20 25 watts average, max 45 watts

Both are great machines ...cva34

7. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    The eco 20 EX is one of the ones I am debating, it seems so small to me lol!!!

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Its a good incubator but yes its small. You can also get a good used cabinet incubator for that price assuming your willing to buy used.

The Genesis is the best incubator that holds the egg count your use to till you get to the cabinets. An its still foam. Not sure why the high end hobby incubators are all so small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by