Buying an existing flock

rjmyooper

Crowing
Aug 29, 2021
U.P. of Michigan (Way UP Here)
My Coop
My Coop
Khaki Campbell Ducks So I'm new to Ducks and I have an opportunity to buy an existing flock of Khaki Campbells. There is 4 Hens and 1 Drake. They say they're only 3 years old, so at that age I would have to raise some chicks right away. Being new, I would need to learn how to raise chicks.
So what are the things I should look out for?

I might just buy 4 Cayuga day old Ducklings from purelypoultry.com, but I don't know how to raise Ducklings. I'm guessing that I could buy a large plastic tote with a cover, put a blanket in it when they're real young and then move them to a pen in the basement. Do they eat pellets at a real young age?

Here, I bought 3 teenage (like maybe 4-5 month old) hens for $10 each. I can't imagine spending that much money on older ducks that don't even have that much laying time left.

Babies are pretty easy to raise. Be sure you get sexed females. You can brood them in a kiddie pool. I use puppy pee pads for bedding. You need a heat source in the beginning such as a heat lamp. You start at 90 degrees and drop 5 degrees a week. Use crumbles for the first few weeks. Purina flock raiser is a good choice. You can do lots of research on this site and get the book storeys Guide to raising ducks by Dave Holderreid. They are messy and a lot of work but can go outside at about 4 weeks. You need a secure coop at night to protect from predators. I would suggest more research before you get babies or adults.

Back
Top Bottom