Buying an incubator

You might as well just buy two
big_smile.png

Some people say 3-5 times per day. My turner does it four times per day, it all depends. most people suggest odd number of times per day unless you can turn them at say 7 am, and 7 pm every day, so the chicks won't sit on the same side for the whole night every night if it is the longer time period.

Quote:
Can you use the egg carton method with this Hova Bator 1588? Any one know? Can you use the egg carton method with any Hova Bators?

I read other posts that everyone has their own way of doing things, half of ya like them on their sides & the other half says the carton method is easier for them to get out. I think the carton method makes sense to me. I am just trying to figure out what way to go.

Which bator yo get so I can use either method. Any suggestions?
Thanks

When I first came on BYC the general consensus and most popularly supported incubator, which I have now, is the Hovabator by GQF, The Genesis 1588 package, with turner, auto set temperature for chicken eggs, it's basically plug and play and almost fault free!! Since the question is answered so many times already.....well....

I use the egg carton method also....it helps to keep the chicks upright in the air cell, pipping, and it's cleaner in the incubator. The eggs go from the turner on the 18th day, to the egg cartons to hold them upright. The only downfall I see is it really sucks the humidity from the air, the cartons are so dry....I cut them pretty far down and cut pocket from each one, plus add sponges to get my humidity back up....the only other issue I have had was a late hatching chick I nearly lost due to being upside down in the egg! It had the aircell on the wrong end, and I should have picked up on that when I put it in the carton and candled!!

Good luck, you'll be sooooo ready by the time you get your incubator, its just my opinion, but the Genesis is the best for the money, and the egg carton method rocks! (I do have an LG - it is hard to control temps, and I have tried to hatch without egg cartons, messy and loss due to ??)

Tina/tfpets

Last edited:
I have the LG 9200 with turner, and it works really well. The only problem I have with it is getting the humidity to go up in the last few days. I don't think the top sits on it quite right, so I am going to put some tape or something around the seams to make it fit together better, but other than that it works pretty well.
<EDITED> I payed about $95 for both the bator and turner, from my local feed store.

Last edited:
BTW I have hatched 2 sets of eggs so far in my LG. First set had 14 fertile, tossed one at day 10 with blood ring, and hatched 12. Second hatch was 6 fertile, 5 hatch. And THAT was at 45-50% humidity throughout...

Back
Top Bottom