Buying chickens in Africa?

thechickenshepheard

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
Swansea SC
I am planning, and have been planning for many years, moving to Ethiopia/Kenya very soon.
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
I am in love with raising chickens, and I will need to continue doing so as I will be building my own homestead in the bush. I can not import my flock, for many obvious reasons, but are there breeders in Africa? Does anyone know of any? I will be traveling a good bit, I am landing in Egypt and also will be doing work in South Africa, and on my travels, I can pick up some... I know, random... but if someone could just point me in the right direction, that would be AWESOME!
woot.gif

I want to add this. In past visits, I've stayed with the people and many hate chicken, but the Massai, in Kenya, are just now getting some, and they are really just mutt chickens as far as I can tell, they are all red, mostly, I have seen white, but it's just a bit of natural selection in my head, because the people can hardly build houses for them selves, and a chicken coop is out the question for them, so they free range with the lions, and I am guessing the ones that are more camp survive, thus the reason for the darker chickens?
hu.gif

Last edited:
Lots of native chickens in Africa. Many world-breeds in South Africa & many native breeds & turkens in the other countries.

thanks danischi24! I actually also plan on getting to Israel one day but for more personal reasons than my passion for Africa, so it may have to wait till I am old and need to retire. I almost went a few years ago, but went to India instead. Maybe the NEED for some chickens will get me there sooner? lol

Last edited:
Recently I worked with a woman, returned a couple years ago from east Africa. She was in the Peace Corps. While she was over there she was given chickens by the people in the village. She lived in a mud hut for part of the time she was there. She had lots of pics of the chickens. They looked like mutts, all sorts of different mottled colors. She did not have any idea what breed they were. Said almost everyone in the village had them. None were pets, all were for eating. Also there were no coops, any tamer chickens came into the huts at night. The more feral ones did there best outside.

Imp

yea, I only have a few pets in my current flock of over a 100 birds, I eat them when they stop laying, or if too many are males, etc. I was hoping to get into the breeds I have fallen in love with here, but mutts will do as long as I get me some EGGS! guinea run wild, the same ones I have, I got up close with them when I was living there last time, so those will not be too hard to find I suspect. Thanks for you reply
smile.png
I am hoping someone can send me a link or something soon!

There's a breeder of native African chickens in South Africa, Mike Bosch. He crossed 3 indigenous breeds to create a chicken that can withstand the harsh African conditions, lay well and grow to a good size.
www.boschveld.co.za/chicken.htm

There's actually a BYC member from South Africa on here who has the more well known breeds. . . Otherwise, beyond South Africa, most out there are landrace breeds.

Back
Top Bottom