buying chicks, would like opinions on hatcheries....

I'm sold on Murray McMurray all my chicks arrived happy and health I didn't lose any, all 26 survived and were exactly what I ordered and they were shipped from Iowa to Tucson,Az in less than 48 hours of hatch they were in their brooder.

Quote:
I still have a sizable coop to build and have to wait until winters over, so probably build late march early april time i'm guessing. I know chicks stay in a brooder for several weeks so how early do you think I should order? Also can I place an order online and select a shipping date months later? I know I can call some hatcheries but didnt know if anyone has done this or if its even possible......

If you order online you put the date/month you want the chicks in the order form. Once they receive your order they will email you a confirmation with a ship date for the chicks.

We just placed our 3rd order with Cackle. All of the chicks we've bought from them arrived healthy and lively, and they sent extras(a plus for me).

I live in Michigan and I ordered my chicks from Cackle. They arrived on time and all alive. Ordered 25 got 29. I did loose one to really bad pasty butt and it just wasnt bouncing back. Otherwise all healthy and I thought the prices were ok. They are now 5 months old and starting to lay really well. I would buy from them again
smile.png

So far in the past I only orderd from Purley Poultry and Meyer, both are pretty good but Meyer didint give me any extra chicks when I bought 28 and a few got sick and died. This spring I'm ordering from Murray McMurray hoping there chicks are good.

Sounds like I'll be ordering either from Meyer or Cackle. I put in what I wanted with each and they are within $5 from each other. Quite a few recommended cackle so thats probably who I'll order through. Thanks everyone.....

I'm partial to Meyer - have placed several orders with them - have been really pleased with the hatching eggs and chicks I got from them - and they are very nice to deal with on the phone. Chicks were packed well and arrived healthy - & they're still doing great. The only issue is that one of the pullets ended up being a cockerel - but he sure is a gorgeous cockerel so I'm not upset about it - although since I don't want to breed him, I'll probably re-home him eventually.

With that said, I imagine all the hatcheries are pretty much alike. They wouldn't last long if they didn't have decent customer service and if they didn't pack chicks well. So most people will recommend the hatcheries they've used themselves.

I've placed two orders through My Pet Chicken, which ships Meyer birds. The birds have been happy and healthy and at 2.5yrs we have no sign of internal laying with the barred rocks. This year I received an extra australorp with my order as the one I ordered was looking sickly on arrival, and all survived.

I didn't realize that Ideal doesn't have "shipping charges", though the minimum $$ order requirement would still land me with too many birds.

My first batch of non-hatchery chicks is in the brooder right now and I adore them. I may not go back to a hatchery if I can help it...

I used Cackle,Ideal,and Welp.

All 3 had good and bad yet I would order again from the 3.

All 3 hatcheries had different rules,breeds,etc.

I ordered from Cackle 2 yrs. ago and was very satisfied with their EE's. Last year I would have placed my whole order with Cackle but I wanted some breeds they don't offer.

Back
Top Bottom