buying chicks, would like opinions on hatcheries....

mjlabs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
West Central Illinois
Ok so I've been researching who to buy chicks from given where I live (for shipping time, etc). I've narrowed it down to Meyer Hatchery, Murray McMurray and Cackle Hatchery. Any advice which one would be better than the other? For example, I was wanting around 15 to 20 chicks max. Meyer has a 3 chick min., McMurray 25 chick min.(dont need that many), and Cackle with 15 chick min. There are plus' and minus' on all the hatcheries but would like to get your opinion/buying experience. Thanks for your time replying.....

How about this, I live in Lebanon Missouri where cackle hatchery is. I think they do great as far as hatcheries go. They usually throw in extras even to make sure their orders stay warm enough to make it to the customer. They have a huge selection of birds.

Fred's Hens :

Murray McMurray is merely a shipper of other hatcheries chicks. Just keep that in mind. Many hatcheries also supply the various Tractor Supply Stores, and other rural/feed stores with chicks. A touch cheaper and the instant gratification. Just something to keep in mind as an option.

X2

Alot of hatcheries throw in extra male chicks for warmth, so you may end up with alot more males then you wanted...​

I ordered from Meyer in the fall. They shipped well packed and on time, but my order was short one chick. I called them and they were really nice and credited me back the cost of the missing chick. A second chick got blown up with air, but survived. Then, another chick was sickly and died a few days later. (I only ordered 10, so losing 2 was tough.)

But, like I said, their customer service was really great. And, the chicks who have survived are mostly really friendly. Can't say how they look compared to how the breed should look, they're only a few weeks old yet. But, I liked them.

Well, hold the phone on my previous comment about MM being merely a shipper. Dang, the mind's a terrible thing to waste.
sad.png

Sorry.

Edit: Confused with Randall Burkey. Apologies to MM.

Last edited:
The only online hatchery I use is Ideal . They do not have a minimum chick order - they only have a minimum dollar order of $25. There is also no minimum breed order. Many hatcheries require you purchase a minimum of five chicks for each breed you buy. Some other hatcheries will also let you place a small order, but their shipping and processing fees are VERY high. With Ideal you can mix and match as many breeds and varieties you want. Now, they do charge a small fee for each different breed and sex you order. But it is still by far the cheapest way to buy chicks over the internet. The only other thing to be aware of is that they may include "males for warmth". Still, not a bad deal if you want some males for meat birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
I still have a sizable coop to build and have to wait until winters over, so probably build late march early april time i'm guessing. I know chicks stay in a brooder for several weeks so how early do you think I should order? Also can I place an order online and select a shipping date months later? I know I can call some hatcheries but didnt know if anyone has done this or if its even possible......

Back
Top Bottom