Buying chicks

Most feed stores will also have a bulletin board...you could put a hens wanted sign up.

Or ask them who they sell bird food to and if they know of anyone selling chicks.

My feed store won't carry them until March or so but I'm sure there's someone around here that'll hatch out before then.

Good luck!

Hey folks, My first post here on BYC. I have been lurking for quite a while now reading some of your thoughts & posts. I want to reply to Kristens post because I am a manager of a feed store in Gainesville, FL (GO GATORS!!!!! btw). Kristen, which feed stores did you call today? I answered several calls today about when & what kind of chicks we will have in. If you called our store (Alachua County Feed & Seed) it is Araucanas that we will have in starting in February. We will have a total of 11 different breeds during our 13 weeks of chick days. If you have any other questions, give us a call.

Wade

Quote:
It's good to see a manager join in a group like this.It shows interest long after your shift ends,not to mention that this site may help you meet your customers needs better.Maybe you can introduce some product knowledge to us.It works out good for everybody.I wish the management of my local stores had the same interest.Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Will
p.s. just so you know gators and chickens don't go good together

Quote:
First of all & most importantly... Gators go with everything, except bulldogs, tigers, noles, & this week, sooners.

I would be willing to try to help with anything any of you guys want to know if I can answer it. I'm still kinda new at this thing. Last January I was put in charge of ordering our chicks. I didn't have a clue about any breeds or anything about raising them. With the help of our hatchery folks (shameless plug for Mount Healthy Hatcheries) I & some research I have learned quite alot in the last year. I found this website because I was looking for some designs to help me build my coop for my first birds. I have finally decided what breeds I am going to start my flock with. My first babies are going to be 4 of each of the following breeds, Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, & Araucanas.

Wade

Back
Top Bottom