Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
Have you bought eggs from Ebay?
If so, how was your hatch?
Do you recommend any particular seller?
Do you Not recommend any particular seller?
Have you ever sold eggs on Ebay?
If you bought eggs from Ebay, did you worry about bringing disease into your flock via hatched chicks? Has this happened to you or to anyone that you know?

Have you bought eggs from Ebay?
If so, how was your hatch?
Do you recommend any particular seller?
Do you Not recommend any particular seller?
Have you ever sold eggs on Ebay?
If you bought eggs from Ebay, did you worry about bringing disease into your flock via hatched chicks? Has this happened to you or to anyone that you know?
I bought some bobwhite quail eggs from ebay, but those were the only eggs I've ever gotten from ebay.
I ordered a dozen, got 15, and had 13 hatch. So it was very good for me.
But again, not chickens. I didn't worry as much about illness with them as I would have with chickens. I would only order eggs from people with clean, healthy looking birds, kept in good conditions with no known deaths to illness. And even then, I'd still worry.
I'd only buy from NPIP tested places too. Not that I so much believe in the testing, but because most people that have it done care about their birds and are trying to do things right.

I bought some bobwhite quail eggs from ebay, but those were the only eggs I've ever gotten from ebay.
I ordered a dozen, got 15, and had 13 hatch. So it was very good for me.
But again, not chickens. I didn't worry as much about illness with them as I would have with chickens. I would only order eggs from people with clean, healthy looking birds, kept in good conditions with no known deaths to illness. And even then, I'd still worry.
I'd only buy from NPIP tested places too. Not that I so much believe in the testing, but because most people that have it done care about their birds and are trying to do things right.
I feel the same about NPIP. I already have reservations about buying from an unknown source. I know some people have pictures of the parent birds, and they look good. But then I read reviews about how dirty the eggs were. Or how what hatched was not what was advertised.

I’ve bought a LOT of eBay eggs. Something about the lure of late night online egg shopping gets me everytime. 🤣

I’ve had good hatches and terrible hatches. My best advice is keep it within 500 miles of your location. For me, in the West, that’s about 1 state away. That’s made the biggest difference in hatch rates. All the cool stuff always seems to be on the opposite end of the country but I’ve wasted enough money on eBay eggs to have some mild restraint.

Ask the seller as many questions as you need to: additional pictures, shipping procedures, guarantees, NPIP.

I consider it a gamble. Just like any shipped eggs. Which is some of the fun for me. It’s also given me some decent contacts. If I want eggs from them again I reach out directly to the breeders (bypass eBay).

I’ve bought a LOT of eBay eggs. Something about the lure of late night online egg shopping gets me everytime. 🤣

I’ve had good hatches and terrible hatches. My best advice is keep it within 500 miles of your location. For me, in the West, that’s about 1 state away. That’s made the biggest difference in hatch rates. All the cool stuff always seems to be on the opposite end of the country but I’ve wasted enough money on eBay eggs to have some mild restraint.

Ask the seller as many questions as you need to: additional pictures, shipping procedures, guarantees, NPIP.

I consider it a gamble. Just like any shipped eggs. Which is some of the fun for me. It’s also given me some decent contacts. If I want eggs from them again I reach out directly to the breeders (bypass eBay).
Sssshhhh. Ebay policy says that's a no no!
I'm not so much worried about terrible rates, as I am bringing in MG or something along that line.
It beats me, why hatchery eggs are more expensive than SR chicks. I guess they use more packing supplies.

Yes I bought off eBay and of the nine eggs one hatched. It was the most beautiful chick I've ever owned.
I probably won't do it again, trying to hatch shipped eggs is a little too heartbreaking. But check back with me next spring. I always fall stupid in love when I start seeing those Southern chicks hatching out . :gig

Back
Top Bottom