Buying fertile eggs from acroos the pond

muddstopper

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Murphy NC
I realize tht there are probably tons of restrictions about importing live birds to the US. I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with importing fertile eggs from another country. What is required in order to be able to do so? What laws apply? I dont have any particular country or breed in mind, just looking at what might be available elsewhere.

pretty much the same rules apply from the way I understand...the originating flock has to be tested and inspected...not sure if there is a waiting period...someone posted something about this back in the fall if I am not mistaken

Yes, there are many regulations.. vet inspections, clean bill of health of flock, they can only come into the US by certain airports, they have to be held for so long or transferred by a set of rules before they can leave. It can be done... but is costly and you will be lucky to get even a few eggs to survive the trip and make it to hatch... IF you're lucky
sad.png

At least, this is what I have gathered thus far.

After posting yesterday I did a little searching. What I found out pretty much convinced me it would be more trouble than its worth.
It was just a thought I had about maybe starting a flock out of newer stock with cleaner bloodlines than what is normally found in the US. Most of the US stock is crossbred back and forth so much that I doubt that even the purebreds are really pure.

Years ago (1960's) my grandpaw imported some Jungle fowl to use in his fighting chickens. His flock was unbeatable for years until he started selling birds to other cockfighters. Bloodlines crossed, inbreeding and cross breeding led to inferiour cocks.

Before everybody gets in an uproar, I dont fight chickens and never have and dont intent to start. My point is that I feel much of the same crossbreeding that took place with the fighting chickens has also taken place in other breeds. Everybody gets their birds from the same limited number of hatcheries, and the hatcheries trade with each other. Even buying from an individual, the selling flock probably started from one of the major hatcheries. Everybody is looking for the best layers or best meat birds. Feed conversions and yada, yada.
I just want some pretty birds that are decent layers and fry up good in the frying pan, as well as birds that nobody else has. The rare of the rare.

Back
Top Bottom