Buying first chicks

Elwar

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Hudson, FL
Ok, I'm at the point now of purchasing my chicks.

I want 2-3 and found a farm fairly close to me that has RIRs, New Hampshire Reds, Cuckcoo Marans, Ameraucana, Golden Buff and Welsummer.

I'm wanting a breed that lays large eggs. I was thinking a RIR, Golden Buff and maybe a NH red.

Is it wise to get the breeds mixed? Are these good birds for getting large eggs?

The farm sells straight run only, but you can bring back roosters to get another chick.

Here are my thoughts:
If you can only get straight run, I would recommend bringing home 5-6. I actually do not like the "deal" the farmer is giving you. A HUGE consideration is disease control. I would be worried to take chicks from a farm with an open door policy. If the farmer takes the roos back & processes them - all the better. However - IMHO- It is not practical to raise 3 chicks, only to find out that 2 are roos. Then you'd have one lonely hen and two new chicks in the brooder. Broodering chicks is not a breeze, nor is trying to mix ages.
Elwar - I love
love.gif
that you have found a local source, though.

I hate straight run! I am so scared i will get all roo's! My neighbors would freak. Make sure you get the amount you really want.I started with 3 and should have gotten 6.
I love RIR,production reds, barred rocks and EE's.
My 2 chickens give me brown eggs. My red gives me med brown eggs and my mutt( breed ??) gives me large brown eggs. i get a good amount from them. Pic's on byc page

I second the mixed ages thing! Dealing with it now and might have to make another coop
th.gif

Can you order from some where? Like a hatchery that can sex them. Some have a min order of 5 others do not!

Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Ya, I think I'll get 2 of each breed...so six all together.

My run (and future coop) could handle up to 6, just in case they all turn out to be hens.
ep.gif

Just as long as I don't end up with 5 roos...(as long as my wife doesn't get attached to them and won't let me take them back...our neighbors would freak) Though...I swear I heard a rooster crow several weeks ago, and we're nowhere near any farms...

We have 3 Barred Rocks and 4 RIR's. We absolutely
love.gif
them!!! Super friendly, boardering on almost to friendly.
lau.gif
We chose that particular breed because they are suppose to lay large brown eggs. We had originally wanted Easter Eggers for the color eggs. We are still weeks away from eggs and at this point we could care less. We are just totally enjoying their playful personalities. On the getting them from the farmer, I too would be scared. We got ours from the local feed store to get all hens. I toooo hate straight runs... Good Luck, Enjoy.
frow.gif

If the Golden Buffs are sex links then go for them. You will get 3 pullets instead of SR. But if they are a misnamed breed like Buff Rocks or Buff Orps then you are stuck with a SR. Any of them will be good and there should be no problem since the farmer will take back roos. You will not be able to order this later and just get 3 or 4 since most hatcheries are sold out. So go ahead and do it. If it was me the breeds I would go for are the RIR, welsummer and cockcoo marans.and the NH they will give you the size egg you want. The ameracauna lays a med size egg but it will be blue/green if they are true and not EE. If they are EE it could be any color. Ameracauna true breed only come in certain colors so check there breed site so you know. EE are mostly mislabeled by the public because of the hatcheries doing it and they come in all colors and lay eggs in all colors. They are mutt chickens not a breed but for a household they lay good and are nice chickens.

If I were you, I would get at least 6. Raise them up and if you end up with roos, rehome them, give them away,or whatever. You can do the same with extra pullets, too. The problem with returning the roos to the farmer is you have to start over, and he gets a mostly grown rooster for the pot..........

You should google feed stores in your area and call around to see who has chicks and have them hold them till you can pick them up. I started with 11 chicks, but with sexing chicks being 90-95% accurate, I got 10 pullets and one very beautiful roo.
That I believe would be your best bet. Good Luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom