Buying Turkeys For Meat

rainnotebook

Songster
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Northern AZ
This year I'm wanting to buy turkeys for the meat come Thanksgiving time. I'm curious what breeds one would suggest? I'm considering the Broad Breasted Bronze Turkey. Are these good overall birds for raising and eating? I also don't know how many to get? I was thinking about 2-3 but I'm not sure how they get along? If I got one would it be lonely? (or happy lol) and if I got 2 or 3 would all male be a bad idea like it is with chickens?

I really appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Most if not all places that sell turkeys sell them as straight run, so you don't get to choose if they are all male. As long as you don't plan to keep any as pets, Broad Breasted are fine. You might want to get extras the first year in case you have losses, then you can always sell off any that you don't plan to keep. Just try not to get too attached, and I need to warn you that turkeys are addictive!

BB Whites have the best feed conversion of all according to a turkey farm manager I talked to this week. My Dad also says so, so that's law.
tongue.png

Cool thanks. Yea I keep reading how cool turkeys are and thats making me nervous. I want the "farm" experience but I can't eat my friend! lol

bet that farmer forgot to tell you , they get sick the most,they have leg problems, they will not breed you have to E. I. them, the meat is dry, tasteless, here on this farm its quality of life, even if we are going to eat you ,you will live a good life until then! here's my take, why would you raise a bird that has leg problems, water pockets on the carcass,prone to health problems! I'll bet that turkey farmer never raised heritage birds before! my customers will never go back!! tom!!

chickensducks&agoose :

How long does it take for a bourbon red to be big enough to eat?

A heritage turkey takes about 7 months to mature enough to process but I promise you it's worth the wait and extra money.​

Back
Top Bottom