BYC 2016 OTHER POULTRY TYPES CALENDAR - Pics Needed!

Pics
@Cockatrice6420, yes it is. Pigeons are so fascinating.
@Lozuufy, I have a female who sits in her eggs, but as she has no mate nothing hatched. Poor girl. :lol: but she did hatch a chick for me.

I saw on a kids nature show, Wild Krats, that pigeons make a substance like breast milk that they feed through their mouths to their young and that are the only birds that do so... is that true?
It's not an actual milk like a cow or other mammals but it is true. I used to watch Wild Krats when I was younger. What pigeons do is they will eat something like grains, then in the gizzard it gets mashed up and stuff and then the pigeon has a gag reflex to throw it up into their chicks mouth. Some birds will gag up food to their chicks like penguins and pigeons, some tear their food up for the chicks up like Eagles, owls, and other raptors. Then you have birds like ducks, peafowl, pheasant, quail, chicken, etc that teach their young what to eat.

Last edited:
It's not an actual milk like a cow or other mammals but it is true. I used to watch Wild Krats when I was younger. What pigeons do is they will eat something like grains, then in the gizzard it gets mashed up and stuff and then the pigeon has a gag reflex to throw it up into their chicks mouth. Some birds will gag up food to their chicks like penguins and pigeons, some tear their food up for the chicks up like Eagles, owls, and other raptors. Then you have birds like ducks, peafowl, pheasant, quail, chicken, etc that teach their young what to eat. 

See. This is why I love BYC! Thank you all for helping me lean and confirm more about our wonderful world!
1f606.png

See. This is why I love BYC! Thank you all for helping me lean and confirm more about our wonderful world!
1f606.png
Any time! I enjoy educating people in the world of birds. If you want to learn more about some birds especially peafowl just ask. I raise 6 peafowl. 3 Indian Blue peafowl (2 males and 1 hen), 1 Indian Blue Black Shoulder peahen, Spalding Split to White peahen, and a White peacock. He doesn't have his train yet he should grow a train in next fall but I'm bummed out since I graduate and am going to South Dakota State University to get a Ph. D in Animal Science and Veterinary so I can be a Vet.

Yeah, pigeons (and doves) make it in their crops while sitting on eggs. It's partially digested seeds and is super digestible for the babies with allot of protein and fat. The babies need it for the first few days or they cannot grow correctly, I've tried raising pigeons from day 1 and had no luck, although after about a week they do well eating almost anything.

I saw on a kids nature show, Wild Krats, that pigeons make a substance like breast milk that they feed through their mouths to their young and that are the only birds that do so... is that true?
That is a very good question. I do not know. But given nature, I wouldn't be surprised.

Any time! I enjoy educating people in the world of birds. If you want to learn more about some birds especially peafowl just ask. I raise 6 peafowl. 3 Indian Blue peafowl (2 males and 1 hen), 1 Indian Blue Black Shoulder peahen, Spalding Split to White peahen, and a White peacock. He doesn't have his train yet he should grow a train in next fall but I'm bummed out since I graduate and am going to South Dakota State University to get a Ph. D in Animal Science and Veterinary so I can be a Vet.
That is cool. Good for you.

Back
Top Bottom