BYC Café

Why, why, why did they not put shut off valves on the shower supply pipes like they did the sinks? :he
Because they are professionals. Yep, you SHOULD have to turn off the water to the entire house when you eventually need to replace/repair a shower valve. And that can be a b1tch when you've got it opened up and discover you need to buy something.

I had to put in shutoffs for the full bath upstairs end of last year. The plumbing was only 7 years old but the valve wasn't letting any cold water through. No way I was going to shut off the whole house, at least not more than the one time I needed to so I could put those shutoffs in. Waited until no one else was home then took the valve apart to see if there was something obvious. Nope. And a Google check let me know that yeah I did need to replace part of the valve. Of course at some point the shower valve down stairs will need repair and I'll have to do it again.

The main gate valve at my house does not completely turn off the water, so I have to turn it off at the street with a special tool.
Sounds like it is time to replace that valve. I'd not use a gate valve but a ball valve. No seals to dry up and go bad.

I've installed not only a manifold to shut down the water supply to an entire room but also each individual unit. Makes life much easier.
Because you are not a professional.

Roasted sweet corn
WAY too early for sweet corn around here. Wouldn't buy the stuff they ship up from down south even if they gave it away.

Back
Top Bottom