BYC Crochet Club **ARCHIVE THREAD** NEW THREAD OPENED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never crocheted, but would love to learn how. I have some yarn that DH got for me at an auction.
I want to make dish-cloths first. Then, from tulle (I think it's what it's called), a round kitchen pot-scubber. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I don't even know what size needle to get to start with. I will have to check out the websites mentioned. I couldn't find a how to book in my area at all for beginners.

Jean

Morning Rafter!!! Try CrochetCabana.com ...they seem to be the best on the internet for beginner tutorials...they have step by step photos too...alot of folks have learned to crochet off that site, give it a shot!!
smile.png

Try Walmart too for that hook and book kit, there are two of them, go ahead and get the $12.00 one, "I taught myself to crochet" it has about 7 or so hooks in it. Grab a skien of red heart yarn (non-slickery and easy to learn with) and maybe a "H" or an "I" hook from your set and get started!!

Last edited:
Hey there,

I missed out on the other swap and would really like to get in on this one whenever it's time. Everyone on the other thread seemed to really enjoy it.

Right now I am making an afghan for my soon to be grandniece and helping my sister get started on a sampler afghan.

Also, I'm trying to machine quilt my very first quilt. It is a king size one and it is a bear!
hmm.png

Beverly

gif5678.jpg
lol! If you are using the acrylic 4 ply yarn, like the standard red heart skiens, thne try an "H", that should work well for squares. That crochetcabana.com site seems to be the best for instructions, it has granny instructions in steps with pics, that should help you out soooo much!! Good luck, you'll be "hooked"!!!
smile.png

Rafter, Listen to Scramble b/c she is a crocheting machine!
big_smile.png

I also like to use the size H crochet hook. I don't know if it's b/c it's the one I learned with or what......but it feels the most comfortable. I used that size to do the granny squares for the last swap. I also used the step by step instructions w/ pics from crochetcabana to figure out how to do the simple granny square.

Last edited:
Hey, is anyone going to post pics of projects they are working on now?

Is this where the the spring swap will post pics of what they will make w/ their squares? I would love to see some pics.

I still need to finish the afghan I started for my friend. Can't seem to get in the mood to finish it. Granny squares are so much more fun to play with.

I got new crocheting hooks, and some yarn to practice with...which is beautiful
big_smile.png
and remembered how to make a straight line. But I still can't find a place to explain to me, in English I can "get", how to *turn around* and go the other way, so that I could, say, crochet a placemat, rather than a shoelace! lol!
big_smile.png

I've been to the suggested sites.
sad.png

I'm a really quick study if someone shows me something like crocheting, in person, but show me a book and my eyes glaze over. I can write code to make an entire website, but turning around and going in the other direction I'm stumped on!
idunno.gif

Oh yes, and I'm left handed.

I realize I'll never get to squares this time around, but if I can do anything besides making long, thin, headbands, maybe I'll be ready next time around?

Help?
hu.gif

Make a shoelace about 6 links long.
Grab the link where you started & stick the hook through it. Pull a loop through the starting link, plus the loop already on the hook. You should have a circle of links.

Play with the circle for a little while! Make a tube. make a bracelet. Make a big cicle and go through every link to make a headband.

We'll graduate you up to granny squares by fall.

Quote:
Don't give up just yet. You have all summer to play with it before the fall sign up.

Use your search engine to look up left handed crochet and a ton of help links will pop up. See if that helps.

If you can do a chain stitch, I bet you can learn a granny square. The simple granny square uses chain stitch, slip stitches, & double crochets. Play w/ those and we can help you put them in the pattern to do a simple granny square.
wink.png

I'm a more hands on person also.
tongue.png

hi tutter, so your having problems getting started, no worries we will help you get through it and you will be a pro granny square hooker in no time. try this, if you have trouble understanding the lingo just let us know and we will explain what it means.

make a chain of 20, then single crochet in the second chain from your hook, then just single crochet in each chain until you reach the end. Once you have single crocheted ( abervation for single crochet is sc ) in the last chain then, chain to extra loops that is how you start your turn, then you will insurt your hook in the third stitch or chain from the hook and you have completed your turn, then sc in each chain until you reach the other side and you will do the above again, and that is how you turn. that will make you a straight lined granny square. try this and see if it helps, and let us know.

I will post pics on my bag later today if I can.

I will start the list for the next swap now, but it will just be a list and I will post just like scrambled did when it gets closer to time. so on the list so far we have
greentree
mawchickkidie

let me know if you want me to add you to the list now or you may wait for the post later this year which ever you would like.

mawchickkidie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom