BYC Crochet Club **ARCHIVE THREAD** NEW THREAD OPENED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished my very first Granny Square! After much MUCH cussing and cursing I finally broke down, put the book up and headed to Youtube!
big_smile.png
And I found what I needed
big_smile.png
Though, I still have no idea how best to hold my yarn
tongue.png
I guess it will come to me in time
idunno.gif

Do you see anything I need to work on??? I was a little confuzzled in the beginning on how to join my corners... but I finally figured it out on my 3rd or 4th row
tongue.png

Scan0015.jpg

OMG!!!! It's 3 AM!!!!! :eek:
lol.png
Whooo..... I'm going to bed now! HA!

Last edited:
That is SO pretty! Great for your first try!! My first one looked NOTHING like that, trust me!!

On the last row, you need to do a couple of chains to make the corners...it looks like you did that on the first row or two.

Great job!!

Nancy

The pattern I was using called for 1 ch in between groups of dc....... but, there was probably something different about the last row, and I didn't catch it because it was 3 am! LMAO I'll have to go back and check... yeah, cause 1 ch just doesn't seem to be enough.

Quote:
Hi. I think you did a great job but I do see the problem. It looks like you didn't put the single crochet between the groups of 3 on the corners. That's why it looks a little rounded. And when you finish the piece you do not need to single crochet the last stitch. Just grab the yarn, pull it through and finish it off. That's why it looks long where you finished it off because you have an extra stitch there.

But again. You did amazing for the first try. And as to holding your yarn. If you are right handed, just bring it up under your hand in the palm through your index and middle finger to guide it and hold it loosely so you don't get tight stitches.

Hope this helps

Jacie

I was wondering about that last stitch! That answers that
smile.png
I did ch between all groups.... but some of my stitches were really tight because I am still struggling with how to hold the yarn. The lady on Youtube made it look so easy! LOL I want to hold like I do when I knit, and that just doesn;t work
tongue.png
Wish I had learned crochet before knitting..
tongue.png

Looking at your reply again... single crochet??? My pattern didn't call for it I don't think......

Granny Squares
Materials and Notes

MATERIALS
natural fiber yarn
For a warm coverlet, try merino wool, cashmere, or alpaca. For a light summer throw, try cotton and silk or bamboo.
crochet hook in a size appropriate for your yarn.
For bulky weight yarn, try a 8 - 10 mm hook.
For worsted weight yarn, try a 4.5 - 5.5 mm hook.
For sport weight yarn, try a 4 mm hook.
For lace weight yarn, try a 2 - 5 mm hook.

NOTES
Visit our Crochet Basics Tutorial for help with the techniques used in this project.

ABBREVIATIONS
dc double crochet
sc single crochet
sl st slip stitch

FINDING THE RIGHT CROCHET HOOK
A reader asks how to figure out which crochet hook goes with which yarn. We turn to Yarnstandards.com for the definitive guide to size. The standard yarn weight chart indicates different yarn types, gauges, and recommended needles and hooks in both millimeters and standard US sizes.
Classic Granny Square Pattern

Remember, you can add as many rounds as you like to your square. Here is a pattern for up to 4 rounds. You may want to make squares that are all one color, or a different color for each round.
FOUNDATION CHAIN: Chain 4; join into a ring with a slip stitch.

ROUND 1: Ch 4, (3 dc into center of ring, ch 1) 3 times; 2 dc into center of ring; join to third chain of beginning chain with a slip stitch.

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE WITH THE SAME COLOR:
Slip stitch from the end of the round until you reach the ch1 stitch at a corner. Continue with the next round.
IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE COLORS:
Cut yarn, leaving a tail, and draw it all the way through the slip stitch to secure it. Join the new color at a corner by drawing a stitch through a ch1 stitch. Continue with the next round.

ROUND 2: Ch 3, work corner (dc2, ch1, dc3) into the same stitch, work remaining corners: *ch1, skip over the 3 dc from the previous round, (dc3, ch1, dc3) into the same stitch; repeat from * two more times, ch1, join to third chain of beginning chain with a slip stitch.

ROUND 3: Ch 3, work corner (dc2, ch1, dc3) into the same stitch, work remaining sides:* ch1, skip over the 3 dc from the previous round, dc3, ch1, work corner (dc3, ch1, dc3); repeat from * two more times, ch1, join to third chain of beginning chain with a slip stitch.

ROUND 4: Ch 3, work corner (dc2, ch1, dc3) into the same stitch, work remaining sides: *ch1, skip over the 3 dc from the previous round, dc3, ch1, skip over the 3 dc from previous round, dc3, ch1, work corner (dc3, ch1, dc3); repeat from * two more times, ch1, join to third chain of beginning chain with a slip stitch.

Here's a pic of theirs from the site.....

gran01.jpg

So maybe it is just this particular pattern???? Will this work for the swap or should I find another one with sharper corners???

I think it looks great!! If that's what the pattern calls for, then surely someone has connected them before. The squares get molded a bit when you connect them together. Are you going to make them all out of that yarn? It is really pretty!!

Nancy

When it says ch1, that is basically the same as a single crochet stitch. It means a single chain stitch.
Directions can be confusing and over the years I've found also that directions are sometimes printed with mistakes. You begin to think you a losing your mind until you figure out the directions are wrong. LOL!
Jacie

Angie,
Those are probably the most confusing directions I ever seen for a granny square. I think you did great for your first time and with those directions.

Also, the English(British) stitches are a bit different than American. That is, what we call a chain stitch is called a single crochet over there. That is, if I remember correctly
idunno.gif

Beverly

What an awesome support group you all are!!! Bet there aren't square swaps other places on the web that give that much good care to one another..wow!!!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
..... "The Sisterhood of The Traveling Hook"!!!!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom