BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Can anyone tell me what kind of chicken breed is the one that is black (every feather is basically black except for the breast), has orange and yellow specks on the breast, red combs, and is pretty friendly? (Sorry just in case that is a bad description) I "babysat" a few chicks of that kind that were extremely naughty. Whenever I turned my head a walked a few steps away they would escape from their brooder immediately :gig.Whenever I returned, they would utter some innocent chirps and stare at me with virtuous eyes. The buff orpingtons were good, however.
I’m not sure from your description. Possibly a black sex link.

Lap time with my bantam cochin and my d'uccle!
20220426_162746_HDR.jpg

I'm going to put my vote in for Porcelain D'Uccles. We've had a few and every one has been actively friendly, enjoying and seeking out attention. Sadly, this can make them very prone to predators and accidents, so I think if you want one as a pet, make it a housebird with a nice little indoor coop (rabbit or parrot cage).

Bantam games come in a close second, although they seem to need more attention as (ridiculously tiny!!!) chicks to be as friendly as D'Uccles.

I haven't read through, but I'm sure a LOT of people have voted for Silkies. In my experience, they are very tolerant of people and handling, but that's not the same as actually friendly. We just lost our Silkie hen who was a house bird for the past 2 winters, as she was not a hardy bird, and even though we enjoyed her toodling around the house, and she'd always let herself be picked up and handled, she never sought us out.
For big breeds, I have to say Buff Orps have been the most consistently friendly without special treatment, Some of them just, right from the brooder with other chicks, decide the Big Thing That Brings Food is awesome and they're going to make friends. But, having said that, the friendliest chicken we ever had that wasn't meant to be a special pet and so got special treatment was an EE hen, that adopted DD, would hop in her bedroom window, have a cuddle on the bed, and lay an egg in her hamper. I really miss that chicken. But we've had a LOT of EEs who've run the gamut in personality, so I can't say as a breed they are consistently friendly, but as a breed they do seem to be consistently bold and curious, so it wouldn't surprise me if they also had a bunch of votes.
I completely agree, the silkies I have are all extremely tolerant of handling and docile in nature but none of them seems out anyone for affection. Wonderful chickens, great mommas, good for kids who man handle things…but when I think friendly, I think seeks you out for your attention. My Orpingtons and my Ameraucanas and my porcelain d’Uccles are my friendliest and sooo very sweet!

I would say d’Uccles have been the most friendly and also most tolerant. I just love their little personalities 😍 These little ones are 6 weeks old and have access to a huge run, but chose to come sit with me instead. 🥰 All the other chickens ran away from me and are happily foraging.

Attachments

• CC876A6C-D1A1-477E-BBCB-259F2411EE00.jpeg
    CC876A6C-D1A1-477E-BBCB-259F2411EE00.jpeg
    632.8 KB · Views: 6
I think my golden comet is up on the list first. Second will be my silkies then bantams and third my cochins. But my mini hen is the best of all because she is everywhere I go and loves to go bye-bye in the car and sit on my shoulders. Not sure her breed but she's small and loads of fun. She loved our cats, kittens and playing in the house without her diaper on.

I would have to say blue laced red wyandottes are among the tamest. I've got 3 from my feed store and they weren't hard to tame. Even the most flighty one out of the bunch eats dryed mealworms out of my hand. The roosters are big sweet balls of feathers. Both roos that I have had would let me walk right up to them and pick them up.

The other chicken that is pretty tame are my line of mix breeds that iv had for a long time. Both hens and roosters you can walk up to and pick up. Even the more flighty arnt that hard to catch. Mostly the flightyer ones just don't like being picked up but you can get verry close to them. One of my roos will even come sit on my lap.

I think my golden comet is up on the list first. Second will be my silkies then bantams and third my cochins. But my mini hen is the best of all because she is everywhere I go and loves to go bye-bye in the car and sit on my shoulders. Not sure her breed but she's small and loads of fun. She loved our cats, kittens and playing in the house without her diaper on.
Do you have any pics of your mini hen and we can help identify her?

The buff orpington pullet that crossed her own yard and mine to meet me in my driveway is the friendliest bird I ever saw. I didn't have treats or food with me and she just marched across for the fun of it.

The chickens and turkey hens that earned a name from us, and therefore a retirement status, received it for doing superfowl actions, like brooding turkeys through a hurricane or choosing to nest inside a prickly pear cactus. The current friendly chicken in my own yard is an Easter egger. She earned the name "Caramel" because she would eat from our palms and sit up on the water can to greet us when it was meal time.

Back
Top Bottom