BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Bielefelder 100%!
It would be great if you edited that post with some of these...
  • What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
  • Why do you think this?
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else

Great thread idea!

To start:

What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
Silkies!

Why do you think this?
Because they're sweet, total lap chickens that double as a cuteness package, all in one!

What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
I'm sure the people on https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ly-spectacular.1334299/page-899#post-25610309 can back me up!
What is your experience with this breed(s)?
I have 3 hens and a rooster, plus 7 chicks!

What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
I'd say the malay-I haven't actually met one-but they look TOUGH! And maybe RIR roosters. :oops:

Anything else
They're not only friendly, sweet, and gentle, they're fluffy, make great moms, and even the roosters can be nice!

I might add more later-I've spent a couple hours on BYC and should probably be getting ready for the day. :oops:

Bantam cochin

they just have such a strong personality, fiesty but sweet. mine snuggles with me 24/7 and NEVER had a bantam cochin bite me EVER.

honestly, it would just be my experience with bantam cochins, especially emily. I do think @The-White-Elephant would agree with me though ;)

emily will snuggle with me all the time, is never mean to me, i love her, when i would be chasing off a squrriel, she runs with me as if she scared it off. then runs after them, to. She sits in my lap and is very good mannered, i would recommend them to first time owners and children, though i strongly think any chicken (or animals, even) should be held by a young child if they have no experience and are rough. Not to mention, bantam cochins are just plain adorable!

im not to sure, i havent really had experience in owning bad breeds persay, my mutts can be aggressive and bully emily, but never to me and they dont do it often.

bantam cochins are the best :love

i could go on forever why bantam cochins are so amazing. And people still claim to say chickens dont have personality!
I very much do agree ;)

i dunno silkie roosters are about the meanest things i've run across in the chicken world.... although gorgeous
Here’s my very “mean” Silkie boy chilling in my daughters lap.🤣
Honestly, he is a sweetheart.🥰
8521E0A4-8665-4EA1-9D59-DFD4D5441FB4.jpeg

Well…this may be a little difficult but can be the pathway for me to ummm expand on my chicken math! 😆

Out of the 6 breeds I own (Kikirikis, OEGB, Ameraucana Bantams, Barbu De Watermael, Bearded Silkies and WFBS), the three that are the friendliest by far have got the be the Barbu De Watermael, Silkies and Ameraucana Bantams but not necessarily in that order.

Let me explain lol

My Watermaels aren’t testy, intriguing or loud. They will come over and say hello and stand still for you to pet them.

My Silkies only want food and will be friendly for that but will run from my husband if he comes around the corner lol likely because he’s twice my size.

My Ameraucanas always want hugs and lap time although I have 1 show Roo that will attempt to hump my arm for a few seasonal days when spring is in the air! 🤣 He is the one that makes me wonder about the rest… lol although my other Roo will gladly sit in your lap and watch football… 🤷🏻‍♀️

Between all of the breeds, I have always found there to be at least 1 jerk among them but for the most part, those have been the friendliest for me.

Back
Top Bottom