BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Pics
I have to say one of the friendliest breeds of chickens has been my polish tophat hens (all colors). They usually started off a bit skittish, but eventually found us to be part of the flock. They will always come over to us for treats. They will fallow us like the dogs. I’ve had one that use to jump on my lap. They never run away from us. I’ve integrated two new hens and they are so curious to what we are doing. I think they became friendly because they were our first chickens and got a lot of attention. They are not skittish of my dog and will run to us when they see us in the yard. The new ones are in my face little girls always wanting to say hello. I’ve owned polish hens for 8 years and they have long life expectancy too. Lay beautiful white eggs average 4-5 days a week. Beautiful to look at. They are a smaller breed for standard chickens, if space is limited. Cons: they can be blinded by their feathers covering their eyes and make them predator prone. I haven’t had this problem yet, because I live in an open setting with bushes for them to hide. I’ve never had this breed go broody and they come in so many colors! Gold laced, buff, silver laced, blue and black. They all will eat from our friends hands and a lot of people who have never been around chickens , loved how interactive they were with them. Be aware, they like to photobomb your photos at picnics (they want your food)!. Lol

My second group would be barred rock hens. They are always there! If I’m in their coop, they are at my feet. If I’m letting them free range, they will keep an eye on me and see if one can get a roost on my shoulder. Sounds cute ! Until it pokes my eye out 😂 they are just very into people and being in your business. Very social and I know they are a common looking breed, but they are great egg layers too. They can be a bit bossy, space is important. My girls love to chatter and can be noisy laying their eggs.

Ps, this is incredibly hard!! Because all my girls are so sweet and the mix breeds are even more sweeter. But I’m not sure if mix breeds count?

Well my leghorns are under my feet when I go to the coop (quite literally). Quite a few years ago (before fencing and my hubby building me a good coop) I had my chickens picked down to one chicken.. she was a golden comet me thinks..she would run after me when I was outside and wait on the porch for me. Another time it was a barred rock..she would hop up the front steps, fluff her feathers out, sit by me on the porch ( I was in my patio chair), she would preen herself and sit by me, and follow me around my yard. Had a rooster, can't remember his breed, would sit on the rocking chair on the porch and watch tv. Nice fella.

X 3. All the way.
Friday Night Smackdown Reaction GIF by WWE

• What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)

Silkies

BLR Wyandottes
  • Why do you think this?'

All the silkies that I have had have been amazing and wonderfully broody and great moms.

BLR's that I have had have been wonderful both hens and roo's.
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
All my own experience.
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
I have owned all of them for multiple years and have been testing which breeds are better and sweeter chickens.
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why
Olive Eggers
The olive eggers that I have are nuts. idk why they are like this but they are.... even tho they are spoiled brats.

• Anything else
Nope

I honestly think it's the chicken I've had silkie roos be the worst roosters ever always attacking you and then I've had some like this sitting in your lap! It's a dice roll with them hahaha!
Probably true of every bird actually! All of my chicks get the same amount of love and attention when young, but then some just are more aloof than others. Though I do not have any mean birds.😊
Mean birds get rehomed…

The friendliest chicken I ever had was a Buff Orpington named Snickers. She knew how to go up the stairs in my house (which ate quite steep!). One cute thing she could do also, is go out the kitchen door into the shanty when I opened it. I think that's pretty cute.

I like Speckled Sussex as well. I wouldn't call mine "lap chickens", but my hens are friendly, chatty, good free-rangers with a beautiful feather pattern.

I'll have to think about number 3...

Hmmm, this is a tough one!
I gotta love Orpingtons, English specifically. A friend of mine has some English Jubilee Orps, and they're the sweetest! Super photogenic too. ;) We even tossed two young cockerels in their pen that they didn't know. Neither of them cared a bit. Even Sir, the rooster. He cooed a bit, and sized them up, but otherwise didn't mind at all.

On the other hand, all of my bantams are pretty friendly. They aren't social per say, but they don't mind getting picked up.

The same friend who owns the Oprs, also has a TSC EE. Not sure how she did it, but Chipette the EE is the sweated girl. If your in the run, she'll jump up to your level on the perches, and she love attention. She's a total lap chicken. 🥰

Probably EEs for me. Mine are 8 and the sweetest old girls. They will just sit there and let you pet them. And other then EEs Jersey Giants are very sweet to. Honestly it depends on the chicken more for me. I’ve had “mean” breeds that were the sweetest and “sweet” breeds like d’ uccles be complete jerks. So for me it’s more based on the individual chicken.

Back
Top Bottom