BYC Drawing Club(NEW!!!)

Well, Aunt Ruth said to use special pencils to add detail, and while I think that's important, what's more important are the proportions (anatomy), gesture, and idea behind it.
I have the same problem sometimes.
I would recommend making more loose sketches as opposed to finished work. Get the idea down and elaborate on it if necessary. It looks odd if you concentrate on little details without understanding the things you learn while sketching.

It doesn't matter how "fancy" your supplies are at this point. I sketch with normal pencils all the time.

I really don't consider a mechanical pencil fancy equipment. I mostly use them for school. Regardless, this is video illustrates the technique I was trying to describe.

Oh, I wasn't referring to you when I said that... Sorry if it was offensive.

Oh, I wasn't referring to you when I said that... Sorry if it was offensive.
None taken. You are right. You don't HAVE to have fancy tools to create something nice however they can be helpful when drawing certain things. I personally love shading. I can't imagine drawing something with a lot of shading without blending stubs and kneaded erasers. The wolf picture has a lot of fur. Fur has a lot of texture. Mechanical pencils work great for texture because they create fine, consistent lines. None of these tools are truly nescessary, but they do create different effects and sometimes make an image look more realistic. It's just good to use tools that fit your style.

Last edited:
I met a guy at an art show that only used a fine point mechanical pencil that he sharpened on rough paper to do all his drawings. No blending stubs or anything. This is one of his drawings he posted online.
Incredible texture.

I met a guy at an art show that only used a fine point mechanical pencil that he sharpened on rough paper to do all his drawings. No blending stubs or anything. This is one of his drawings he posted online.
Incredible texture.
This technique is very much like pen and ink but I find it harder than ink.

Meh I tried drawing my dog realistic but I don't really draw realistic stuff anymore so it's not that good.. I think I might stick to cute cartoon things lol! I know I gotta work on my eyes anything else I should work on?
Oh and heres a picture of my dog.

Meh I tried drawing my dog realistic but I don't really draw realistic stuff anymore so it's not that good.. I think I might stick to cute cartoon things lol! I know I gotta work on my eyes anything else I should work on?
Oh and heres a picture of my dog.
The indent on the tongue should be smudged. If you look at the real life picture, the line is broad. It's better than I could do, anyways.

This technique is very much like pen and ink but I find it harder than ink.
He drew an outline based of a photo and used a compass to get the proportions right. Then he shaded it by using a sharpened mechanical pencil and making tiny sqiggly shapes. He made them darker and denser for the darker tones and lighter and more spread out for the lighter tones.

Back
Top Bottom