BYC "Introduction / Journal" Section - Should it be added?

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

At www.SufficientSelf.com there has been a discussion on adding a "Journal" type of section. We decided we'd try it out and see how it goes.

read here http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=664
    and
    here http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=714

As
    I was creating the new section I got to thinking: I've always wanted an "introductions" section within the social section of BYC. Problem was how to differentiate it from the other bits in "me, my chickens, my family". Well, I think the whole "journal" idea with a quick templated question answer at the beginning would be a really fun thing to do here.

What do y'all think? Would you like to see an introductions / journal section? The most recent updates would be at the top of the section and every new "journal topic" would have the member's name in the beginning.

Feedback... I need LOTS of feedback!

[​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That might be a good idea, but you will need some strict rules.
    Like posting of ages, locations and other personal info by minors. We need to make sure we do not compromise their safety.

Other than that, to have one section for intros will keep valued new members from getting lost in the shuffle! [​IMG]

3. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I like it, but I agree with Terrielacy that their needs to be some rules.

On dangerouschickens template, it asks birthday, you could make sure that its just the month and day, not year.

I think people will really use it and enjoy it!

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Well, I can understand keeping people safe, but if one wants to put their whole birthday then I think it should be allowed. Many of us are waaaay over any worrying about posting their year of birth.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes! I like the idea as well. So when you gonna start this "journal" section?!?! [​IMG]

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Whats the point? Everyone does that anyway, with or without a section for it. Read a few threads....

You'll certainly learn who had new puppies, who bought a new horse, who has chicks pipping, who has a new child/grandchild, who got married, who got engaged, who had a death whether human or animal, who needs prayers, who is traveling, who has lost internet connection, who is fighting whatever legal battle they are in the middle of....

And my personal favorite, who is having what health problems and why they need prayers for their upcoming surgery that they have to describe in great detail......

Its just a duplication of efforts if you ask me....

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:You are right, but it would be nice to have this info. combined in one spot instead of all over the board. [​IMG]

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Do you really think its going to be contained there? It can't even be contained to one general area as it stands now......

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

yuppers mans,,, thats cool ,, kinda like a BETTER version of my C&P thread,,, but can be done on a page that better describes it as just me shooting the poo [​IMG]
    soooooo what ya saying is,,,, after i intro myself,, then it becomes just me saying whatever bout my day?,,, like this'?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1036543#p1036543

i think its cool,,,, but then again,, us hippies think everythings cool [​IMG]

10. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I would like to see an introduction section! You could move some of the stickies about how the forums runs and FAQ's there so the new members don't have to go all over the place searching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by