BYC Member Interview - Folly's place

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Mary, known to BYC members as Folly's place, has been a member of our community since September, 2011. Another of our wonderful all rounders, she is known for her good advice.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

My hubby and I have a small farm, and a few horses, and two steers who were going to be trained as oxen (didn't happen). Also two dogs, three cats, and over forty chickens. I'm not riding any more, and enjoying the birds more every year!

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

We moved here in 1991, and a neighbor had a small flock of Belgian d'Uccles and Silkies. They multiplied every year, and she gave me a few, and that's how our chicken project started. We made every possible mistake, but learned, and moved forward, and would have loved to have this site available then!

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

The birds are beautiful, and entertaining, and the fresh eggs are the best. Also the meat for the freezer, but mostly the eggs and entertainment.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

Our first Speckled Sussex hen, and we will always have a few of them; so interesting and interactive. It's hard to pick out only a couple of individuals, they have all been so fun.

IMG_0142 (2).jpg

I love the broodies!

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

Taking birds to work! The day my rooster decided to crow, and the client couldn't believe her ears; "is that a rooster???" Loved it!

6. Anything you'd like to add?

We have a farm pond, and lots of wild Canada geese every year. This family group was exceptional, though.

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0241 (2).jpg

They all live to fly away!

Mary

https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/follys-place.106492/

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Back
Top Bottom