BYC Member Interview - h2oratt

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Julie, known to BYC members as h2oratt, has been a member of our community since May, 2015. One of our BYC Friends, she will often be found in the Random Ramblings section, chatting with friends.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

Hi, my name is Julie. I live in Stockton, California close to Sacramento.

My husband and I live on an acre of land. We have four grown children and 9 grandchildren.

D8BC4EF4-11B0-4D00-BD3B-1B3074E716B7.jpg

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

We decided to get chickens when we had a tick infestation in our redwood trees. I also wanted free range eggs for the food I make for my dogs. My husband and I eat a lot of eggs. I also wanted to know when the end of times comes we would be able to eat by having eggs and chickens.

7A70E077-3F56-4D0C-BBEB-B0275234BFF0.jpg

78AF3A33-8CB8-4088-9621-F4E7F82E6B18.jpg

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

I love hatching chicks and watching them grow. I like seeing the chickens interact with each other. Chickens can be very mean.

C44D0208-BC72-4DB3-9B92-5BEB400DC4A4.jpg

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

I am amazed my roosters have all been very friendly. I am lucky I started with friendly breeds. I don’t look at my chickens as pets. We currently have 8 dogs that we breed and show.

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

I didn’t realize chickens could fly. We have two Egyptians fayoumis who fly into our garden every morning and then fly back to the chicken yard later. We could not figure out what was eating our young plants. We thought the barn cats were doing it.

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

My husband and I breed, show and train Portuguese Water Dogs. We have been doing it for over 25 years.

6F70C06E-3AC9-42AD-ABF1-5A383574141F.jpg

7. Anything you'd like to add?

I really enjoy BYC. I have learned a lot over the few years I have been on the site.

I have made some really good friends. Whenever I travel I try to find some chicken people on the site that I can go visit. I went to Michigan this past August and was able to meet up with Folly’s Place. I was able to see her beautiful chickens and see her setup. It is always fun to visit and talk chickens.

Thanks!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/h2oratt.349361/

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Back
Top Bottom