BYC members in Massachusetts?

I have been hearing about a lot of bear sightings lately. I don't think the bears are more active than usual, just more people staying at home and actually noticing them more. Any thoughts?
In my neck of the woods(Franklin County) I have not seen any bears this year. I am surrounded by 13000 acres of forest land though. The bears have no reason to show themselves to us.

Interesting that you mention bears. I am in central MA near Wachusett Mtn. and there have definitely been quite a few bear sightings lately.
My guess is two fold:
People being home more often but also an increase in popularity of home security cameras like Ring or Nest.
I have been getting Ring neighborhood notifications almost every week for the last few months.

Interesting that you mention bears. I am in central MA near Wachusett Mtn. and there have definitely been quite a few bear sightings lately.
My guess is two fold:
People being home more often but also an increase in popularity of home security cameras like Ring or Nest.
I have been getting Ring neighborhood notifications almost every week for the last few months.
I guess we're close neighbors @RootyBoots. I'm in Lunenburg. I'm retired so staying close to home is normal for me and I have not noticed any unusual activity other than the noisy neighborhood kids. I see more of my neighbors taking walks. But no new critters. Except I have noticed a scraggly looking bunny munching the clover in the yard. LOL! I really think it's more related that people have the surveillance cameras and they are spending more time at home so are noticing them more.

Sigh. 😔 I guess I’ll start here.
I have at least one, possible more Salmon Faverolle Roo(s) that need to be rehomed.
They are 4 week old chicks.
I am not opposed to keeping them until they are a bit older if someone would like to add them to their flock but can’t at the moment. I only ask for a commitment to take them at a later date.
Any takers? 🙏🏼

I have at least one, possible more Salmon Faverolle Roo(s) that need to be rehomed.
I am not opposed to keeping them until they are a bit older if someone would like to add them to their flock but can’t at the moment. I only ask for a commitment to take them at a later date.
Any takers? 🙏🏼
Sorry but I can’t take them. Have you thought about taking them to Nevens Farm in Metheun or the animal shelter in Sterling? Most chicken keepers will send them to freezer camp.

Any takers? 🙏🏼
Can you post current pics?

Attachments

• 183224F4-BA73-4980-A5DB-E27641E2E07F.jpeg
    183224F4-BA73-4980-A5DB-E27641E2E07F.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 93ED109A-E559-4041-AC7A-9683F2036CFA.jpeg
    93ED109A-E559-4041-AC7A-9683F2036CFA.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 7950B08E-50DE-44B6-B016-F64EA41199C8.jpeg
    7950B08E-50DE-44B6-B016-F64EA41199C8.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 35D51417-2DFF-4B65-A728-AEB92A1ED7AB.jpeg
    35D51417-2DFF-4B65-A728-AEB92A1ED7AB.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 14553BF5-C22D-4CB8-9269-3469C34DB3DA.jpeg
    14553BF5-C22D-4CB8-9269-3469C34DB3DA.jpeg
    497.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
This is the one I am most concerned about being a roo:
I am very familiar with the breed and I would definitely wait another couple of weeks to be sure. One hatchery in particular produces some some badly mismarked pullets. As in their chests are not cream colored, they are black. How do the other 3 look?

I am very familiar with the breed and I would definitely wait another couple of weeks to be sure. One hatchery in particular produces some some badly mismarked pullets. As in their chests are not cream colored, they are black. How do the other 3 look?

Two look like typical SF.
The 3rd has has some black feathers on upper chest but the rest of the chest is white. It also has light feathers on its legs/feet.
The 4th one looks somewhat similar to the pictures I posted but is not as dark. However that one has light feathers on its legs/feet.

I would love for them to all be pullets!
I figured it would be great to have a plan in place in case if there ends up being a roo or 2.
We are also in the process of selling/buying a home so any “process or plan” I can have in place helps to ease my mind.

I really do appreciate you looking at my pictures and helping me try to identify their gender. Any thoughts or comments are welcome! :)

Sorry but I can’t take them. Have you thought about taking them to Nevens Farm in Metheun or the animal shelter in Sterling? Most chicken keepers will send them to freezer camp.

I have not. I will look into it though! Thanks
Best case scenario would be all pullets of course, then rehoming. I do realize (sadly) that there is the possibility that they could end up on someone’s dinner table. That certainly is not my preference but it would be out of my control at that point. I hope it doesnt come to that!

Back
Top Bottom