BYC members in Massachusetts?

I have just joined the forum and posted in the new member section. I'm in Mass between Boston and Worcester and I'm in the research phase of planning my first coop. Could I ask a couple of questions specific to the local area?

I keep seeing references like "join your local chicken keeping club". I don't find any when I search though (Google gives me plenty of recommendations for restaurants). Is there such a thing in this area or has the online forum, perhaps with the help of the pandemic, superseded any local in-person clubs?

I also wonder if there are any recommendations for vets in the general area outside of Boston and to the east of Worcester who take care of chickens. Everyone I know is equine-only! I suspect Tufts would have someone at least...but maybe others too?

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to BYC in Massachusetts. I’m pretty sure Tuft’s will work on chickens. My former dentist near your area took one of his chickens there. However that was at least 10 years ago. I’ve not found any clubs or groups in Massachusetts but the members on this thread are pretty responsive if you need advice. For coop building don’t fall for those cute little coops on the internet. They are poorly made out of cheap, flimsy materials. Check out the coop building threads on this website for information. Best of luck.

Welcome to BYC. We are located a stones throw from Gillette Stadium. We have never used a vet for our chickens. I do highly recommend Ventura Grain for all things chickens, dogs and livestock, they are in Taunton. They do chick days. They are real farmers and have been invaluable.
https://www.venturagraininc.com/
Just placed an order today with Ventura for chicks. Split them with friends. They had a long varied list where you could select what you want. They took the money up front and will call us when they arrive. We have 48 hours to pick them up. A very civilized way to order chicks.

Just placed an order today with Ventura for chicks. Split them with friends. They had a long varied list where you could select what you want. They took the money up front and will call us when they arrive. We have 48 hours to pick them up. A very civilized way to order chicks.
I'm considering getting chicks from them this year, but I want to give them to a broody so I can't order too far in advance (3 weeks max, after she starts sitting). Do you know if they tend to sell out way ahead of time (from pre-orders) or if there'd still be some variety left to pick from if I called, say, end of March - beginning of April for three weeks later? This will be my first time buying chicks so I don't know how fast they sell out - I usually hatch my own.

I'm considering getting chicks from them this year, but I want to give them to a broody so I can't order too far in advance (3 weeks max, after she starts sitting). Do you know if they tend to sell out way ahead of time (from pre-orders) or if there'd still be some variety left to pick from if I called, say, end of March - beginning of April for three weeks later? This will be my first time buying chicks so I don't know how fast they sell out - I usually hatch my own.
The other way they do things is they announce a date when they will have chicks. It is first come first served. People just line up That is how we did it the last couple years. That works OK. Here is the March schedule from last year. We got all the varieties we wanted last year. I was probably 10th in line.

Attachments

• chicks2022.JPG
    chicks2022.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 4
The other way they do things is they announce a date when they will have chicks. It is first come first served. People just line up That is how we did it the last couple years. That works OK. Here is the March schedule from last year. We got all the varieties we wanted last year. I was probably 10th in line.
Great, thanks!

Thought last year Ventura did it a bit different and just posted the morning the chicks came in so they didn't have huge lines by posting ahead of time?

I got some there last year. I watched their FB page the week they had chicks I wanted and went in. A couple breeds I wanted that were on the list didn't come in that day so I couldn't get them but they had most of what I wanted.

Thought last year Ventura did it a bit different and just posted the morning the chicks came in so they didn't have huge lines by posting ahead of time?

I got some there last year. I watched their FB page the week they had chicks I wanted and went in. A couple breeds I wanted that were on the list didn't come in that day so I couldn't get them but they had most of what I wanted.
Take a look at the east they are doing it this year. If you preorder by tomorrow they say they will call when they come in. And the selection is tremendous.

Take a look at the east they are doing it this year. If you preorder by tomorrow they say they will call when they come in. And the selection is tremendous.
I am going to hatch this year instead of ordering chicks. Only kind the breeder doesn't have that I would like more of is crested cream legbars. But I can't fit many more so will stick to colors/breeds I don't have yet.

Back
Top Bottom