BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
Anyone in MA with fertilized eggs? I'm in Norton.
Specifically looking for EEs and silkies of any color. Also black australorps and barred rocks. May be interested in pullets or POL hens. .. can't have roos. If you're in the area and selling please message me!
One of the breeds I have are very similar to the EE. They're called Sweet Potato Quechuas. Just to get a reference point... EEs are in actuality the "Improved North American Quechua". (but just a bit watered down with a bit of who knows what)... They were brought to the Worlds Fair a number of years ago and introduced as the Americauna.

Hi Melissa, I think bringing your kids sounds like a great idea. Come spring, you can definitely do that. I'm actually hoping to create a farm outreach program at Shaker Village where I can even start bringing a chicken into the classroom for a "farm hour" or something like that. I'm about to propose it to the higher ups at the village. I think farm education being brought to the schools could really develop into something. I was wondering, since you are a teacher, if you have any opinions on this idea?
I"m not a teacher, only by virtue of having kids and I teach them lots outside of the classroom. My kids don't know other kids that live on a farm; makes school hard for them when they want to share with school friends but not having farm animals their friends don't get the chicken fun. I can see where "farm hour" can be a plus in that regard. You will need to check with each school as it could fall under a random enrichment program or hook into the curriculum. Each school is different.

Plimouth Plantation has interpreters come every year to the first grade class. I love this kind of encounter; not sure a first grader gets it. We had the captain come to the class I was in. Hard for kids to understand a sea voyage but it was certainly more life like than reading in a book.

In a kindergarden class, someone brought in parrots. THe children could look but not touch.

I do like that in the short time we have had poultry my kids are experts at catching and holding from a chick to a rooster to a turkey. I wish all kids lived on a farm, at least for a few years.

Sorry I am rambling on. I love your idea!!

I was similar to your kids growing up. It was hard for me to relate because I was the only one who lived on a farm and I spent all my time with the animals. Anyways, thank you for the advice,
I'm definitely going to look into it, and maybe I'll see you guys at the village in the spring. :)

Hello
Free to a great home.First person or people that Pm me can Have 3 Blue copper marans ROOS I bought them from sterling Sue here on Byc They are a month old.

Just hatched 5 silkie chicks 3 buff from catdance lines and 2 bobbie porto whites. All bearded...I bought a mixed lot and am keeping just BBS although I would love to keep them all. I have 15 in my basement since the last blizzard knocked down my chicken fence...

Back
Top Bottom