BYC members in Massachusetts?

Anything you see about busy pace in Mass., is in Boston and the immediate area. The smaller cities are much more laid back -- Worcester, Springfield, also the cities along the NH/VT, NY and CT/RI borders... much less rush-rush. But of course the rural towns are even more laid back! :) Look into the Blackstone Valley area in central Mass., and anything west of or north of Worcester. Also, southeastern Mass. -- the area just north of Buzzard's Bay. Many overlooked small towns there with great atmosphere and affordable house rentals.

Western Mass. and anything north/south/west of Quabbin Reservoir... Lots of lovely little towns with agricultural values.

Watch out for the "Metro West" though -- very expensive bedroom communities just outside of Boston, and many have ordinances that keep out livestock, even though they are former farm towns. The westernmost part of the state is gorgeous but there are pricey pockets of towns around the resort areas.

I'd say there are plenty of towns in Mass. where you could rent a farmhouse or village/small town house with a big yard, woods in back, and that allows geese. I live in Salem, Mass. and we have no ordinances against poultry and livestock. I have geese, ducks and chickens on a small urban/suburban property, and have kept goats and turkeys too! So, you should be able to get something you like too. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I do worry more that I won't find someone willing to rent to me with the birds. I have friends in the Greenfield area so I have been up and down to Northampton a few times and Amherst more so I definitely see how the expenses are up as you get closer to metro but that's fairly normal for anywhere I think. Where are all those old farmers or house owners with no kids who want their home to be loved and farmed? Oh, fairy mother goose where oh where are they?

I think those people with farm houses to rent, are out there. You could put your name in with local realtors in the towns that interest you, and give them a good idea of what you're looking for.

Northampton is a beautiful town. I have a friend there with a yoga/bodywork studio in the middle of town. I'll ask him if he knows anyone with a farm house to rent in the area, if you would like. Amherst is great too. The thing is, these are academic-college towns, so prices and rents run higher because they attract an affluent crowd who crave the cultural life that such communities offer. You might have better luck finding something affordable in Greenfield and the towns around there.

Ashes thought of you today when I scooted thru my town to a road I had never traveled-- to get to cub scout leaders house. I passed a deserted barn and often wondered who it belonged to-- it seems to be vacant. WIth a chunk of land with it . . . it's a mystery.

I'm in the Blackstone Valley.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom