BYC members in Massachusetts?

Quote: That's great! I went to winter forum and my parents let my sis and I get chickens. I want more people to go to this fair because it has been shrinking and needs more people to come! I love having chickens and cant wait to get chickens of my own when I have my own place

THe fair maybe shrinking beause fewer and fewer people are farming--- we need to promote chickens to our friends. Perhaps that will be a way back to farming, as least in the back yard sense. A few rabbits, or ducks or chickens and a garden to feed t hem . . . .

I have to agree the fair is shrink but other fairs are also shrinking. There are less and less 4-H members we need to bring back farming. If not having farming just having some large and small livestock animals

thank you for the response, I just got some eggs from Arielle. I will keep you in mind if I end up wanting more (the swedish Flower and Black copper Marans sound awesome!) Really wish I could have all the chickens my heart desires... For now I will be doing my best to hatch out the eggs I got yesterday

Anytime. Good luck with the hatch and hopefully we'll see some pictures when they arrive!

I see farming changing. There is a movement taking place where more and more people are getting into backyard flocks and small scale farms for the first time. Many without any experience whatsoever. We can only hope that this will continue to expand and maybe one day put pressure on Big Agriculture to change some (all?) of their practices...

The key to expanding small-scale farming is for us to continue to develop a warm, welcoming, inclusive environment for first-timers to feel comfortable asking all the silly questions that we asked when we were starting out (i.e. I still misspell Ameraucana from time to time
he.gif
) That is one of the reasons this website is so important. It compiles information with answers to all kinds of chicken questions, and it fosters a community of like-minded people who share a common interest in chickens. This interest is contagious and the more people see it, the more they want to be a part of it.

It is important that this carries over to the shows as well. The first show I ever went to was in Orlando, FL. My family was just getting into owning chickens and we were super excited to see the exhibits and "talk chicken". Unfortunately, when we got there, nobody seemed to share our excitement. It was as if none of the exhibitors were enjoying themselves and we were bothering them - no eye contact, one word replies to our questions - just disappointing. The shows in New England seem to be more friendly, but there are still "those" exhibitors...
barnie.gif
. I know it can't be easy answering the same questions over and over, but remember that you are doing more than answering questions, you are representing the industry and in some small way impacting your own livelihood.

Ten years ago I didn't even know there were chicken shows. This year I hope to go to as many as possible.

Enough rambling for one night
old.gif
(BTW I love these emojis)

See you at the shows!
Alexander
TCF

Hi I have 2 young roosters that needs a homes 2 are splash silkies 5 months old but one has a funny beak he eat just fine other is a bantam easter egger I think not to sure 3 months old I got pics you would like to see them. I had them on Crag list if you or anyone you know or a place I can take them PLEASE PM ME my landlord came to my place because of the lady across street me has complain plus she stands in her driveway with her little loud dog and stares at my coop it's getting uncomfortable for me the landlord really doesn't care he just said try to keep them quiet

Hi everyone! I live in Plympton on the Carver line. On Tuesday some lowlife dumped two roosters in my work's parking lot. I finally captured them today and brought them home as I was afraid they would get run over plus I was concerned that someone mean would find them as they are quite friendly.

I cannot keep them as I have no coop and no way to house them so now they are prey to the coyotes and other predators. These roosters are quite beautiful and are very bonded to one another.

Is there anyone who has any room for them? They are so sweet but I just can't keep them. I will gladly send pictures of them if you are interested. They are long feathered birds with brown white and black speckles and they have enormous tail feathers that are iridescent blue. Very pretty.

Ive tried sanctuaries and other farms but they all said they couldnt accomodate 2 (and I don't want to separate them).

Please help me find a good home for them! I will gladly bring them to you. Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom